Fishing near canal locks

SUFC

I was thinking of pole fishing this section of the GUC in Leicester, mainly because there's a nice wide area where the moorings are (see picture) to be able to put my tackle and ship the pole. However, it might be a big mistake when a boat comes along and seriously disturbs the swim. Has anyone ever fished close to a lock before, either just upstream or downstream of one? Do these areas actually hold fish?
IMG_20200822_084806.jpg

Last edited:

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Get there at dawn and fish till the first boat goes through the lock. There will be decent fish there, but boat traffic has priorty, either going through or mooring up at the bollards.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Yes there will be fish there. But you can't complain if a boat moors up in front of you or sits in front waiting for the lock to clear as other boats use it.

Not a place I would chose to fish.

Pickard1

Personally I prefer pegs with a bit of a feature such as a big overhanging tree, boat or lilly pads on the far bank, but I have seen some good catches from the lock cuttings. I always think that the pegs just below the lock are a bit better than those above the lock, probably because there is a bit of aeriated water at the bottom of the lock.

50m or so the other side of that lock you have some overhanging trees, those pegs used to be good.

SUFC

Personally I prefer pegs with a bit of a feature such as a big overhanging tree, boat or lilly pads on the far bank, but I have seen some good catches from the lock cuttings. I always think that the pegs just below the lock are a bit better than those above the lock, probably because there is a bit of aeriated water at the bottom of the lock.

50m or so the other side of that lock you have some overhanging trees, those pegs used to be good.
Yes, about 50m the other side, I've fished there a few times (Glen Parva). Caught some nice bream and even a tench put in an appearance.