fishing mojo

stevej

hi all have you ever lost your interest in fishing i know i have i used to go 30 plus times a year and look on fishing forums every day , hows the best to get back fishing . i have started by looking on hear . cheers

Dusty

hi all have you ever lost your interest in fishing i know i have i used to go 30 plus times a year and look on fishing forums every day , hows the best to get back fishing . i have started by looking on hear . cheers

It happened to me a few years back.
I found the best way was to try and be simple and spontaneous, I would just go out for a few hours on small waters to get back into it.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Thought we were going to talk about using sweets as bait for a minute
1565807607466.png

Think most of us have had the same feeling at one time or another Steve and we have discussed this a few times in the past.
New challenges and different places is always a good way to go and if you post on here enough chances are you might get someone offering to meet up.
This forum is great for giving you different perspectives and ideas on how to improve your skills
It's very hard to not get a bit more exited again when you read what others are doing.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Only the very occasional period of work tends to stop me getting out at least once a week. I tend not to work in the summer and it's not unheard of for me to get out every day. However, a really bad period of weather might curtail me somewhat. I do have bouts of indifference, but I've learned to largely avoid them by mixing my fishing up as much as possible. Doing one thing to the exclusion of all others is a recipe for a bout of CBA in me. I mix up my target species, style of fishing and venue to avoid it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's all about trying different venues for me at the moment. I'm getting back into it again after years of break so plenty of mojo. Tomorrow I'm going Bream fishing on a big lake for the second time, I need a confidence boost on it with a few slabs more than anything as it's going to take a lot of work, gettng ready for a day of bits again if the Bream don't show.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never lost interest myself been hooked since day one 15 years ago really, in the last 6 or 7 years I've been borderline addicted since I expanded from mostly fishing lakes to fishing a lot more on rivers and sea fishing home and abroad. Along with fishing I'm the same with rugby and cricket barely a day goes by when I don't think about or do something relating to all 3 of them.

Fishy Medic

Lucky if I fish once a month. One of my motivations to retire.. but few years away from that.

parkes

If you need a reason to go fishing then something is wrong!
If you feel the need to create a reason just to go, then dont fish, it is not mandatory.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I've had the odd couple of years out during the 30 years I've fished. I think I just got the urge again, and I'm surrounded by water so wasn't hard to scratch the itch. I still live in the same area I did as a boy, so nostalgia sometimes drives me as well.

Failing that, just try a simple float rod and some maggots on a nice peaceful bit of water, see how you feel.

Arch

Site Supporter
I lost my Mojo about 30 years ago. My travelling partner moved away with his work, I carried on on my own for about 18 months then jacked it in for the next 25 years. Played Golf until knee surgery stopped that. Got back into fishing 5 years ago with some Barbel fishing, didn't go much last year because of clear and low water levels. Only been twice this year on the river and I've sort of lost my mojo again.

However, In a couple of weeks I'm meeting up with someone of here for a days fishing on the Trent, which I'm really looking forward to, so hope that kicks me up the @rse to get on it again.

At the end of the day we do this for the enjoyment, If you're not enjoying it, don't do it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Got me thinking about how many sessions I get in over a year. Would be over 30 most years I'd guess, about half from fishing related holidays or short breaks and the rest from normal local sessions.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I've never actually stopped, but on each occasion when my parents died, I felt like I was going thru the motions... sort of on auto pilot... they were hard times, especially after I lost my mum as my brother and I had to clear her house and it took ages sorting out her estate... small as it was it took a lot of time and effort... when it was all sorted I went back to fishing but something had changed... my heart just wasn't in it and my enthusiasm for the sport only returned properly in 2018... now I'm back to my old self albeit my desire to compete has gone and I no longer match fish... the desire may return... who knows...?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
My rods etc. are always ready to go, and with the local tackle shop only 5 minutes walk away with the club waters only around 10 to 15 minutes walk I can be on the bank in approx 25 minutes. My problem is that I get fed up going to the same place time after time.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
when i left school took up fishing went 5 times a week, but when I started work so only could go on a sunday, when kids came along stopped coarse fishing and only went sea fishing off shore and boat fishing maybe once a month, when i stopped working to be a carer for sister decided to buy some coarse tackle as had some spare time, try to go once a week but when sister passed away last year clearing house out and dealing with probate took some time still enjoy fishing from sea or or catching coarse fish did try fly fishing but could never get into it prefer using some bait

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Have you thought about taking a different route to get there - just to break it up a bit :)

There isn't one.. It's just follow the main road for 10 minutes, turn right, follow that road for 5 minutes and you're there. Being the bailiff on those waters and also fishing them it's the old..same old, same old syndrome that kicks in.

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
I’m currently in the same situation, I feel fishing is more of a chore than a pleasure at the moment. I think it stems from the match fishing, I’m doing awfully in the team league and have had a single half decent peg all year and as soon as I draw I’m immediately negative about everything... I’m starting to think my mental health isn’t quite as it should be so perhaps a trip to the doc is in order?

Rick

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I’m currently in the same situation, I feel fishing is more of a chore than a pleasure at the moment. I think it stems from the match fishing, I’m doing awfully in the team league and have had a single half decent peg all year and as soon as I draw I’m immediately negative about everything... I’m starting to think my mental health isn’t quite as it should be so perhaps a trip to the doc is in order?

Rick

A trip to the docks might do you wonders mate. Dab, Flounder maybe a Mackerel or two might make a decent change....ooops, the Doc's, ermm, sorry about that.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Make sure firstly and for your own welfare that not doing something you used to enjoy, isn't a sign of being down/depressed, it can be. After that then try and see what it is fishing related/how/where you fish that may be that is causing you to lack motivation for it.

At your rate of just over twice a month getting out, I wouldn't say that you have done it to the point of overdoing it, it may be that you need refreshing may be venue or tactic wise, but individuals will all be different, so please don't think I am a fountain of knowledge about a situation I have summised by your OP only, but what I do know, is that when you don't get excited in the days before a trip out, its time to have a re-think in what fishing you do/where you do it. The last thing I could ever consider or suggest is tackling it by stopping all forms of angling completely, but, again, that's just me, I need to be fishing, not just to catch fish, but everything that goes with it.