Fishing method feeder short

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Anyone do this and do you setup any differently to method fishing at distance?

Fishing a club water yesterday and it’s not a huge chuck to the island - maybe 20yds - but the trees overhang low and wide so accuracy (not my strong point) is essential.

However I was filling my boots with a short pole, 2+1, and was pondering about dropping in a small method feeder to circumvent the hordes of roach and get a few more carp and maybe tench.

I have also heard of method feeder on the pole but that sounds like lunacy :unsure:

Any advice appreciated.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I do at the park and I back lead it. It's a proper crude looking set up, but it's necessary at the park to prevent fish spooking from line bites, probably less of an issue on higher stocked waters and won't be allowed where 100% free running rigs are required. Otherwise I can't think of anything else I do different, just drop it in and away you go.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I do at the park and I back lead it. It's a proper crude looking set up, but it's necessary at the park to prevent fish spooking from line bites, probably less of an issue on higher stocked waters and won't be allowed where 100% free running rigs are required. Otherwise I can't think of anything else I do different, just drop it in and away you go.

Have you beefed up line or just fish as normal ?

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Introduce small balls of your method mix. Get the fished used to feeding on them. When you start fishing the short line, chuck a ball in and immediately follow it with your method feeder. HOLD YOUR ROD AT ALL TIMES.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Have you beefed up line or just fish as normal ?
Good question mate as I'm yet to find the right balance on my lake, given I'm snag fishing, Crucians being the main target, but like to get the big Carp out too. It's a big conundrum for me.

I've been using sometimes 6lb Maxima, sometimes 8lb Tournament ST mainline and to be honest, various hooklengths. If in open water you can set the clutch looser, I just have the rod on my lap and so it can't be dragged in due to the angles involved.

I have the majority of the rod beyond the rod rest so it cushions any take of course.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Introduce small balls of your method mix. Get the fished used to feeding on them. When you start fishing the short line, chuck a ball in and immediately follow it with your method feeder. HOLD YOUR ROD AT ALL TIMES.
Aha - no subtle taps on the tip then.
Good question mate as I'm yet to find the right balance on my lake, given I'm snag fishing, Crucians being the main target, but like to get the big Carp out too. It's a big conundrum for me.

I've been using sometimes 6lb Maxima, sometimes 8lb Tournament ST mainline and to be honest, various hooklengths. If in open water you can set the clutch looser, I just have the rod on my lap and so it can't be dragged in due to the angles involved.

I have the majority of the rod beyond the rod rest so it cushions any take of course.

I have 8lb Guru pulse pro loaded onto both feeder reels to cope with the lumps and snags on Neville so I’m happy that’s going to be sufficient

Confident with QM1’s and n-gauge 0.17 or 0.19 for hooklenghs

Read the club book and max bomb/feeder weight is 20g which is fine, have Preston ICS in that size, and from what I’ve learned max fish size is approx 20lb so the Ron Thompson with a softish top will be spot on

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Sounds good to me, look forward to reading how you get on.

If I can finish building a model railway layout this week then I will drag Jacob out Saturday and give it a go.

Built the boards (four 4’x2’), fitted locating dowels, painted tops, laid all track - just yesterday afternoon/evening. Now I need to solder in 101 dropper wires but I can have each board in the house one at a time to work on them.

Confident we’ll be out

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I got snapped in open water on a 0.18 Stroft 4" heli rig hooklength yesterday. Soft rod, loose clutch. Didn't make any difference for this big Carp. Snapped me on the take.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I fish this way a lot, especially in the margins or on the slope where the margin ledge drops off. I’ve even fished the method at a topkits length or less. I don’t do anything special. I use 8lb Maxima for all my feeder fishing with a 4” QM1 hooklink and don’t do anything special when I’m close in. Good luck with it.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I’ve tried method in the margins and short this year. I’ve put around a foot of tungsten tubing (carp bit of tackle shop) immediately above the method feeder to keep the line on the deck and avoid spooking (esp in shallow water). Don’t tighten the tip too much - savage takes!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve tried method in the margins and short this year. I’ve put around a foot of tungsten tubing (carp bit of tackle shop) immediately above the method feeder to keep the line on the deck and avoid spooking (esp in shallow water). Don’t tighten the tip too much - savage takes!
I have tungsten tubing - saw it used as the bottom tube on pole float stems to cock the float more quickly and it’s something I’ve adopted.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Use a baitrunner , be aware of the snags (or don't fish too close to them) and in the margins on both lead or method I will slack line.
Watch the rod tip to see if there are any lines pulls and the fish is hooking itself against the weight, the rod tip will still go round when the fish realises it's been hooked.