Fishing Marketing

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Think what you like about 'marketing', we are now exposed to it more than ever. I'm wondering how it has changed over the years in fishing?

I was thinking about 'barriers to entry' for someone taking up fishing now. I was lucky when I started fishing all I had was a few magazine subscriptions and a club to learn from, but I think it's a bit of a fallacy to say there's not videos aimed at beginners now, as many tackle companies offer 'starter kits' and will produce videos aimed at beginners. But for the most part it is people tackled up to the max and fishing promoted fisheries on the videos we see on YouTube. It might put people off who can not afford all that tackle.

It seems to me gone are the days when you had to put in a bit of work to find somewhere to fish, and tackle was secondary. If you watched most videos now, you might think you have to have every latest item of tackle, go to the nearest day ticket water and expect to replicate what is seen in videos.

Gone are the days of say, John Wilson and Go Fishing on TV, where he would often fish with basic tackle but on 'exclusive' venues which seemed to put a bit more value on the fish we catch?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’d love to see some videos aimed at those on a tight budget. There is some very good tackle out there these days for very little money. If you compare it to the tackle I had available to me as a teenager it is quite remarkable quality stuff nowadays. Matt Hayes used to make some good videos of him using the cheaper end of the TFG range, it would be good to see more of this stuff in action.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
When I was working in the machinery manufacturing business our company used to have an ‘upselling’ aproach to marketing. They always did their level best to sell equipment which was way beyond what the customer really needed. I think to a degree the tackle manufacturers do the same thing. If someone shows an interest in a £30-40 rod they will do their best to convince them that the £60 product is vastly superior.

I’ve got the full range of Garbolino feeder rods which I paid very different prices for. From the £25 Maxim model to the £150 Altima model. The Altima is a superb product which I use all the time but the other rods at different price points are all very usable rods with a fairly similar action. The quality of the finish and the little details get better as you move up from one range to the next but you can catch fish just as well on any of them.

Budget rods these days have the same style of reel seat, lined guides, multiple tips and a respectable finish. They might not have cork handles and the like but the neoprene handles these days are very comfortable in the hand. They balance nicely as well in general, though they may be a little bit heavier. Same thing applies to reels. You can buy a very usable reel for £15. Two Cadence CS4s for £35, you can’t go wrong.

For a juvenile or a newcomer to the sport this stuff is great. I’d love to see the tackle manufacturers show it in their videos a bit more. Or some independent video maker or a magazine.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The budget issue is one reason I talk about the tackle I use that does not cost much. I catch and am competitive using £10 reels, £35 feeder rod, £50 pole etc.. My video on pole roller positioning shows me using the pole and two cheap rollers.

Introducing newcomers into the sport is something I have to praise Wellingborough's coaches for. In a year they will see hundreds of kids, and some adults, at their multitude of events. One of the reasons they are cited as exemplars by Angling Trust and the CRT. It takes a lot of effort and commitment and we are lucky to have them.