Fishing Line

Craig1962

Id just like to know peoples opinions on coloured fishing lines. Do people think it makes a difference to what you catch? and can fish see the line?. I'm asking because with my failing eyesight (Due to advancing years and being blind in one eye) I struggle sometimes with the clear lines.
Thanks in advance everyone

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I haven't used them as a mainline when course fishing, but I have used red line for hair rigs when feeder fishing, especially in deeper water. Had some good Bream and Tench when my 'normal' hair rigs have failed.

I use Camo line when Carp fishing for the simple reason it blends into the lake bottom and that gives me more confidence.

These are only my findings and what I've experienced.

satinet

Site Supporter
I use daiwa sensor for main line which isn't clear. Got some cheap camo stuff as well.

Hook lengths are usually clear though.

Dunno i catch fish though.

Nicky Dodds

I haven't used them as a mainline when course fishing, but I have used red line for hair rigs when feeder fishing, especially in deeper water. Had some good Bream and Tench when my 'normal' hair rigs have failed.

I use Camo line when Carp fishing for the simple reason it blends into the lake bottom and that gives me more confidence.

These are only my findings and what I've experienced.
Pete have you tried the pro-logic mimicry?

CarpCatcher86

I have always used Maxima Chameleon mono paired with fluorocarbon hooklinks so I can't really comment on colour difference there.
When using braid for lure fishing I have found no difference. I have 30lb moss green braid on my light setup and 64lb high viz yellow braid on my heavy setup. Simply because the high viz yellow was all I could get at the time. High viz yellow braid made no difference to my sea spinning or fresh water lure fishing either.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I always use clear hook links or leaders but my mainline is almost always coloured. Generally dark greens and Browns in mono for coarse fishing but for sea fishing I've used braids in green, while, blue and generally all sorts. I'd imagine given that the hooklength or leader is the bit in the business zone the mainline viability is probably less relevant. Not sure I'd want to use a super conspicuous mainline though ?

TimFB

I tend to stick to neutral colours, browns, greens, clear in mono for coarse fishing as while I don’t believe it makes much difference I’m not a fish, so why take the chance that it does. For lure fishing 100% clear mono or fluoro leaders absolutely does make a difference as the water I lure fish in is often gin clear and you just don’t catch with colored line near the lure.

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Have a look at Maxima which currently comes in a reddish brown hue. Decent line and easier to see than clear mono which may help with your difficulties.