Fishing Knots wanted....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All,

As some of you are aware, the latest addition planned for the site is an A-Z type of encyclopedia of fishing, comprising of mainly advice on tackle and bait. It's a bit of a mamouth task but its getting there

We've now got to the bit on Knots and I am starting to draw up animated images of knots and how to tie them. I've seen a couple of examples whilst browsing but there are many more.

Can you please reply to this with popular knots and a description on how they are tied to give us a hand

Thanks, Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
OOPS sorry i thought the heading said "fishing nuts wanted".

Oh well never mind
hows this for a knot?

Edited by - Trogg on 24 November 2001 1:25:07 PM

bart4real

Hi, I used to have a problem with the line breaking at the loop on pole rigs so I developed a knot where it is actually stronger at the knot because the line always breaks away from the knot. I now use it exclusively and tie all my hooklengths (knot to knot) with this knot.
It is difficult to explain in words and an animated image would help but the basics of the knot are as follows;

Form and overhand loop and then double the loop over and trap one end between the thumb and fore finger.With the other hand, put the fore finger into the loop and twist the loop in a form of figure of eight and then put the end of the loop back through. Lubricate the knot and pull slowly. The line should have neat little wraps of line below the loop. If it is done properly there is no reason why the loop should break

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
try this one
(blood knot)(1)pass the end of the line though the eye of the hook,
take the end round the line bring the end round in a loop
continue looping the end around the line after forming five loops
bring the end back though the loop next to the eye. tighten knot and trim the end.

Dave (Scouse)

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Dave, me again, try this one.

(Domhof Knot)
1. Pass line through the eye and form it into a large loop
2. wrap the free end around the hook and the upper part of the loop, pull knot tight.

Dave (Scouse)

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Dave yet another one

(Palomar Knot)

1. pass double end of line through swivel (or eye of hook)
2. tie overhand knot in doubled line
3. pull the loop end over the swivel, pull tight and trim

Dave (Scouse)

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Dave

Try these.

(Full blooded knot, for joining lines)

1. overlap the ends of the two lines, take one end and wind it round the opposing line, bring it back through the first loop
2. repeat the process with the other line
3. wet the know, pull it tight and trim

(Water Knot)

1. overlap the lines by about six inches
2. form a loop treating the line as a single line
3. make an overhand knot, pulling entire line through the loop, repeat four times.

(Knots for forming loops)

Double overhand loop - double the end back along the line, tie an overhand knot, repeat the overhand knot, pull tight

Blood Bight - double the end along the line, turn double end around the line, pass the looped ends through the turn and pull tight.

Dave (Scouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.