Fishing in the Isle of Wight

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I''m going there for a long weekend in a fortnight and already wondering about places to fish when I'm there.

I've fished Nettlecombe Farm over 10 years ago and remember having carp after carp from the middle lake especially. They were all around 3 or 4lb at the time and could catch 100 in day. Have they grown since then for anyone that knows those lakes?

Although, somewhere a little bit more mixed would be fun if anyone can recommend anywhere to try?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is one fishery off the list. I think I remember fishing it years ago.

Unfortunately it is with regret that I need to tell you all that Rookley fishery is no more . The current owners have decided to terminate my agreement and there will no longer be fishing available on the lakes . The lakes will be used for activities like paddle boarding , kayaking and zorbing . I have opened a new tackle shop nearby and can be contacted on 01983539939 or found at PO301XP and can point you in the right direction for local day ticket fisheries . I also sell day tickets for some of these . I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank all of my valued customers over the years and hope our paths cross in the future

I wouldn't know where to start with sea fishing and the River Yar is IWFAA members only.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The small lake at rookley park had quite a mixed species list so shame if it's now closed, there are a couple more coarse fisheries on the island but I know nothing about them I'm afraid. Sea fishing off any of Yarmouth, ryde or sandown piers is very doable with coarse gear and not too difficult to get a few fish, there's a couple sea wall type marks around the island you can do the same sort of thing. The south coast area eg Hampshire, Dorset, IOW is my patch for sea fishing and whilst I'm not all that good at it I can give a bit of rough advice if you do decide to give it a go.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In two minds about the sea fishing really, as I'd like to try it sometime but making that first step is a big one. Happy to read any tips you've got as I'm interested in how it's done although to be honest it looks like I'm going to be fishing for Carp. There's another venue, Somerton Reservoir, that sounded promising, although again only stocked with Carp, before it sounds as though it's been netted and drained now.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
For fishing the piers and sea walls a reasonably long spinning rod (8-10ft) or a Avon rod with a feeder sized reel with 6-10lb line will do for float fishing around the pilons. Ragworm or thin mackerel strips on a carp hook or small sea hook does the trick bait wise, should pick up pollock and wrasse fairly easily and maybe mackerel or small Bass. Can get away with the same gear for bottom fishing if the tides not too strong if you just drop 2-3 Oz lead running ledger rig straight down the side for the same species plus probably pouting and possibly Bream.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds interesting but I reckon first time I try it will probably be with someone who knows what they're doing as I'd feel lost without basic things like a landing net!

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Tims tackle Isle of Wight Pet centre, Watergate Rd, Newport PO30 1XP 01983 539939

The above to buy a day ticket to fish iow club waters, not all lakes available on day ticket

IOW club water Gunville lake is in Newport, is 12 feet deep and has carp, big bream skimmers, good roach and carp
IOW club water Merstone fishery , there is a 40 peg lake with an island, carp, bream,skimmers, roach Cruician and ide, this is what I recommend
At merstone there is also a specimen carp lake but that is members only

There is thorncross and Island fish farm near brighstone, carp fishing day ticket on bank, not a fish a chuck !

The IOW club also has another complex of lakes but is members only.

Rookly is emptied of fish
Somerton fish have been removed and sold

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Forgot about this one I used to be a member off

Private ponds, this has a small number of restricted year tickets, but is a caravan site with up to 8 caravans plus two lakeside lodges you could stay in and fish,
The gate is always locked so if you wanted to fish on a day ticket you would have to phone first as the lakes could be booked for a match.
Good fishing with bream carp, tench roach

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks! Alverstone looks good. I think at the moment it's going to be between that and Nettlecombe Farm.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

This looks nice. I'm going tomorrow.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I ended up fishing Kingfisher pool at Merstone both days. It was alright, not really my kind of fishing though and I only took a bit of tackle.

First day I picked peg 10, surrounded by reeds in the margin. Turns out the margin was fairly deep with around 5 foot just down the edge. The pool is full of double figue carp, 'pond pigs' as I've heard them called on here, and they go like stink when hooked. There are platforms that stick out over the water all round the lake which are nice to fish from and hold a lot of fish, but it means every time you hook one down the edge they go straight under there. I hooked and lost 10 big carp in one way or another, most to the reeds and platform, some just foul hooked. I landed one about 12lb and had about 30 fish in a mix of small Tench, Crucians, Roach, Ide and Bream.

Second day I decided to fish peg 35 on the opposite bank which had less vegetation down the edge, still had the platform though. Turns out it was only a foot down the edge this time. Started off down the inside shelf as couldn't fish to the island other than with a bomb with the bait I had (pellet and sweetcorn). Didn't catch anything so decided to try in the shallow margin and started to catch Ide and Perch down the edge on chopped worm. Desperate living. Wasn't long before there were a few big swirls down the edge and I ended up with 2 lost fish and 1 Carp about 8lb.

Not really my kind of fishing this big margin lump fishing so glad in a way I'm back home now as I reckon 'd get bored quite easily of that styile of fishing all the time if I lived on the island, nice to see my family in the evening when I was there though! Think I probably should have fished Nettlecombe one of the days as even though it's all Carp and they've probably grown since I last fished it about 20 years ago, I probably would have had more chance of getting them out! No amount of pulling was going to do it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Carp and platform swims don't mix do they, I refuse to fish such places that have that combination. Nice combination of other species though by the sound of it. With the weather you had though you definitely should have followed my suggestion and hit the salt ;) way more fun pulling wrasse and pollock out of pier or rock structure in clear water than a pond pig from under I assume a murky watered platform! Leaves a reason to back though I guess :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yep, can't really beat catching a few Crucians sometimes though. :)

Went for walk along Shanklin beach today while waiting for the ferry, sea was flat calm like a lake, nobody on the beach other than a couple of people fishing. I'm going to have to give it a try sometime!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep lovely fish aren't they.

The sea looks a picture when it's like that doesn't it, well any water does tbf. I wouldn't start with beach fishing though that can be a pretty techy game, much easier around structure or of course afloat.