Fishing in Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdavetops

Hi all

New to the site and relatively new to coarse fishing. A fishing obsessed New Zealander, but this style is still pretty new to me. Live in London but have connections in Kent in the Maidstone area. Am down that way this weekend and looking to do some fishing. Have fished a few times at both Elphicks and Monk (and caught some good fish) but am looking for something where the fishing ain't too hard but perhaps a little more natural and where I can fumble around in relative privacy. Have fished Teeston a few times and done ok, but of course - closed season. Am getting into carp, but to be honest am just happy to catch fish. Have set myself up with carp, float and quiver tip gear. Anyone got any suggestions for me....
Thanks for reading. Love the site, some great posts and pics.

Cheers
David

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Welcome to the madhouse David. Where in London are you based?

Hartleylands is the place for you. The Reservoir for the bigger carp. Nicks lake is fishing its head off at the mo, plus two other match lakes. If you want a nice quite spot then any of the 4 ponds will do though I prefer Finches.

You may find the Reservoir and some of the match lakes booked by clubs/matches at the weekend but theres usually plenty of room available. Its only 10 minutes down the road from Monk Lakes. http://www.hartleylands.co.uk/

There are plenty of fishing reports on here about it just use the search function.

Last edited:

Bigdavetops

Cheers for that. Had a look at the website and read about the lakes. Sounds good, will give that a go this weekend. Sounds like I can get some variety and try to refine my dodgy skills. Is it common for fisheries to ban boilies? Whats the rationale, is it for the benefit of the fish?

David

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Some anglers may feed too many and some owners consider that its not good for the fish

You wont need them at Hartleylands. Method feeder workrs very well on the reservoir. Most methods will catch, pellet and hemp for feed and most usual baits will work pellet, paste, corn, meat ( dont tell anyone but cockles can be good too [;)][:p])
If the weather stays warm then bread and dog biscuit on the surface will also work well late in the day. No need to cast a long way as the bigger carp often stay in the margins.

Have a read of this for an idea of the reservoir http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/39142

Last edited:

Bigdavetops

Am based in the mean streets of Hackney.

Can understand the concern of too many being fed. Seen guys get carried away with the dog biscuits too, last time out my neighbours launched a flotilla which drifted past me. Carp were not particulalrly interested but soon as the geese saw em gone in seconds.

By the way since I left NZ have learnt a lot more about the coarse fishing there. More limited than here but looks to be some good fishing. If anyone is interested, this site will give you a taste of the fishing in NZ: http://www.coarsefishing.co.nz/forum/cmps_index.php

FISHAHOLIC

pudge
Give chquertree fishery in Bethersden near Ashford a go, nice surroundings and good fsihng, Carp Tench and Bream are found in this quality fishery.

violator

I'm planning on a trip out on Sunday myself. I normally head for Elphicks, I know i'm likely to have a great day,but i'm thinking of paying Hartleylands a visit for the first time. For someone who fishes Kettles for the Carp and Tench, which water on Hartleylands should I head for?

Bigdavetops

Cheers for the tips. Will definitely be out this weekend on sat or sun. Will make sure I arm myself with some cockles. Will let you know how I get on.
Are there many venues that have koi in there?

cheers
david

violator

Gonna give Hartleylands a miss as they run matches on Sundays, so the rest of the lakes will be a scramble for swims. So it will be Kettles again, and i'll plan a Hartleylands venture on a weekday instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.