Fishing in Glasgow

Freddles91

Evening all, noob here. I'm looking on where to go up in Glasgow. I'm up for all sorts but I'm quite keen on spinning/lures or I've just got a fly rod too that I really want to get involved with (not used it yet). I'm in Pollokshaws and was looking at stretches of the Clyde or the White Cart Water but it looks like the parts are owned by different groups which is annoying and a bit awkward to find out which bits I can actually go on, or who owns what or where to get permits etc. Alternatively I was looking at the Darnley Dams which look like they're free. Does anybody from the area know of any free stretches?
Cheers in advance. Apologies for newbieness.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
A lot of the Clyde is free, and I know you can fish the Forth Clyde Canal. I had some nice roach and perch out on the stretch near Twechar , that was some years ago. Not sure if the stretches I fished were run by a club but I never saw a bailiff to pay for day tickets.

Freddles91

A lot of the Clyde is free, and I know you can fish the Forth Clyde Canal. I had some nice roach and perch out on the stretch near Twechar , that was some years ago. Not sure if the stretches I fished were run by a club but I never saw a bailiff to pay for day tickets.

Cheers for replying, good shout about the canals I hadn't even considered that. I'll give that a go at some point. At the moment I'm just trying to get anything that's not a minnow so they all sound good!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not fished the stretch but I did hear there were some decent bream on the Clyde, the Glasgow Green stretch.

bryanh

Site Supporter
Membership of the Scottish Federation for Coarse Angling costs around £8 a year and includes permit to fish all lowland Scottish canals.
Google SFCA for full details.