FISHING IN FRANCE

merseyphil

Site Supporter
Hi, I am looking for a reasonably price fishery with acomodation in Brittany for a weeks holiday in 2019.
I am not after monster carp but would like some good "all round" fishing if it exists, it needs to be suitable for my wife to relax and enjoy the scenery, surroundings with reasonable civilisation in close proximity, the fishing is a bonus.
Would consider other areas within in reasonable driving time from the ferry ports, I have about a 5-6 hour drive in UK heading south.
Any help appreciated.

Regards

One of Mr Crabtree's apprentices.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Most years I go to France for a couple of weeks and do some general fishing while there. I realise the area we go to is further south but it may tempt you.

We always get the overnight ferry Portsmouth to Caen (Oustreham). It is then a roughly 4-5 hour drive to a town south of Nantes. But French roads being less busy and around 200 miles out of 250 on motorways it is not difficult. And I stop for a couple of hours fishing and picnic lunch en-route. We stay on a campsite just outside the seaside town of St Jean de Monts. No fishing on site but three suitable spots for you and the good lady within a 30 minute drive. Each is comfortable with good toilet facilities.

For the journey back I stay overnight at Ouistreham and catch the early morning ferry from the port that is opposite the hotel. Great end to a holiday with a favourite restaurant in Ouistreham and a bar that serves Affligem (Belgian beer).

The three spots I fish are all different, one being a country park with a huge lake dominated by large skimmers but with a few carp and other silvers and small catfish. One is a drain that has wild carp and carassio as well as some skimmers, nothing huge but good fun, again, clean toilets nearby. The third I discovered this year is a small pond advertised as a family fishing location. Clean toilet and car park next to a small pond that contains skimmers and wild, small carp as well as gudgeon sized catfish. There is also a river but the banks are not that suitable for fishing from.

If you want any more info let me know. We stay in a mobile home on the campsite.

merseyphil

Site Supporter
Most years I go to France for a couple of weeks and do some general fishing while there. I realise the area we go to is further south but it may tempt you.

We always get the overnight ferry Portsmouth to Caen (Oustreham). It is then a roughly 4-5 hour drive to a town south of Nantes. But French roads being less busy and around 200 miles out of 250 on motorways it is not difficult. And I stop for a couple of hours fishing and picnic lunch en-route. We stay on a campsite just outside the seaside town of St Jean de Monts. No fishing on site but three suitable spots for you and the good lady within a 30 minute drive. Each is comfortable with good toilet facilities.

For the journey back I stay overnight at Ouistreham and catch the early morning ferry from the port that is opposite the hotel. Great end to a holiday with a favourite restaurant in Ouistreham and a bar that serves Affligem (Belgian beer).

The three spots I fish are all different, one being a country park with a huge lake dominated by large skimmers but with a few carp and other silvers and small catfish. One is a drain that has wild carp and carassio as well as some skimmers, nothing huge but good fun, again, clean toilets nearby. The third I discovered this year is a small pond advertised as a family fishing location. Clean toilet and car park next to a small pond that contains skimmers and wild, small carp as well as gudgeon sized catfish. There is also a river but the banks are not that suitable for fishing from.

If you want any more info let me know. We stay in a mobile home on the campsite.

Many thanks, quite amazing, many years ago I did the same journey, Stayed overnight in Nantes and a Eurocamp campsite near St.John de Monte, lovely part of France, went as far as Royan but had to return to St John etc as we left a wardrobe of clothes in the tent! No fishing in those days but remembered with affection.
Still early days of planning but with a week in France would prefer Brittany rather than heading south, thanks again for a great review and information.