Fishing holidays

robwigan

When I was a kid every Easter we would go to white acres in Newquay, with what’s going on now I doubt I’ll be go to the US like we had booked.

What other types of places are there along with white acres that have a ton of lakes and also offer something for none fishing family members to do, it was always good with it being close to Newquay as it offered alternatives for none fishers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t tend to go to places with lakes but one I have been to is cobbleacres in Norfolk. Pretty basic caravans but a couple of the lakes are pretty good and you are not far from Norwich and the broads. On that subject somewhere on he broads itself like Wroxham or potter heigham are good options as you’ve got loads of fishing all
around you then.

Another place is riverside on the Avon just upstream if Stratford upon Avon. Very nice caravans with loads of the Avon flowing through the site with a clubhouse bar and restaurant onsite and a pub and Indian a 5 minute walk away plus theres wager taxis that take you into Stratford itself which is a lovely town with loads of facilities.

One more is meadowbank on the stour in Christchurch. Nice caravans again and a lovely bit of the stour skirting down the edge of the site plus throop and royalty are just down the road plus obviously the sea! There’s no facilities onsite but it’s only a short drive into the middle of Christchurch and not much further to Bournemouth and the new forest and all the facilities and attractions they provide.

rudd

Site Supporter
TBH never understood fishing holidays where families are dragged along.
Seems very selfish of the angler.
To me a family holiday means that - time with family and various activities with a bit of fishing thrown in.
Looking for a venue with activities for non fishers to keep them occupied!
If anyone wants a fishing holiday - go with your mates.

This is my personal opinion - not a pop at OP.

Last edited:

robwigan

TBH never understood fishing holidays where families are dragged along.
Seems very selfish of the angler.
To me a family holiday means that - time with famiky

Thanks for that helpful contribution

My mum loved Newquay back then and my mrs is happy to sit by a lake but I would also like a place that offers more than just a lake

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Haha rudd it’s on the contrary for me. My holidays are either for fishing or messing about with my mates because otherwise holidays just get in the way of fishing or messing out with my mates! I get bored stiff on your traditional relaxing holidays not really got any interest in those until I have children.

rudd

Site Supporter
Thanks for that helpful contribution

My mum loved Newquay back then and my mrs is happy to sit by a lake but I would also like a place that offers more than just a lake
Had not finished post so was editing.
I love Cornwall but avoid Newquay, St Ives, Padstowe etc - Dont like the crowds of bored sheep wandering about looking at tat. Cornwall has so much more to offer - that said I live on coast and fully understand most dont and its their holiday to do whezt they want.
Fishing wise, I take a lure rod and may have a few hours off the rocks, a half day wreckfishing and plenty of rock pooling - now have a set up so I can mini species fish rockpools.

Each to their own 😉

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Anglers Paradise? Any maggotdrowners been? Considering booking for next year, pole and carp / F1 style commercials like Whiteacres don’t float my boat.

rudd

Site Supporter
Haha rudd it’s on the contrary for me. My holidays are either for fishing or messing about with my mates because otherwise holidays just get in the way of fishing or messing out with my mates! I get bored stiff on your traditional relaxing holidays not really got any interest in those until I have children.
I like relaxing - very good at it 😁

rudd

Site Supporter
Had not finished post so was editing.
I love Cornwall but avoid Newquay, St Ives, Padstowe etc - Dont like the crowds of bored sheep wandering about looking at tat. Cornwall has so much more to offer - that said I live on coast and fully understand most dont and its their holiday to do whezt they want.
Fishing wise, I take a lure rod and may have a few hours off the rocks, a half day wreckfishing and plenty of rock pooling - now have a set up so I can mini species fish rockpools.

Each to their own 😉
PS - its an open public site and we are not sheep.
Expect debate and a differing opinion to yours fella. 😉

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I like relaxing with a rod or beer in hand but I’m no good at the sit on the beach or by the pool type of holiday

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@crumpercatcher.

I've been to Anglers Paradise, but that was years ago. 12 lakes to chuck at and night fishing allowed. I don't know if anything has changed but had a brilliant time when I last went. Plenty to do for the family. One word of warning..DON'T hit on Zig's home-brewed wine, Yikes...

rudd

Site Supporter
I like relaxing with a rod or beer in hand but I’m no good at the sit on the beach or by the pool type of holiday
When abroad will go for walks and an excursion but other wise sit around relaxing , do like a game of beach volleyball - followed by beer 😉

Reuben

Site Supporter
Anglers Paradise? Any maggotdrowners been? Considering booking for next year, pole and carp / F1 style commercials like Whiteacres don’t float my boat.
Aye I’ve been a couple of times a good while ago. All kinds of carp on offer plus big orfe & golden Tench. Zig was stocking a lake with barbel when I was there. This is 18years ago & I think his daughter runs the site now. Lovely accommodation & site - beware Zig’s home brewed wine..........🤪

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
We’ve been to Anglers Paradise a few times and would highly recommend it. It’s a really nice place with a lot of fishing options. Mrs Whizz always enjoys it too, even though she doesn’t fish. I tend to fish very early in the morning and then we spend the rest of the day together. The accommodation is second to none and the bar’s nice and has a pool table tucked away in a separate bit. There’s also a small indoor pool and jacuzzi. It’s in Devon so there is plenty of other stuff to do within easy reach. The reason we haven’t been the last few years is because it used to take seven hours to get there, especially in summer.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
We’ve been to Westwood Lakes twice a year for the last ten years. It’s lovely there too. It’s got a cafe open from early breakfast to late afternoon in winter and later in summer. There’s a bar which is really nice and does cake and hot chocolate which is very much to Mrs Whizz’s liking. The tackle shop is really big and sells pretty much everything, especially terminal tackle and bait plus a good selection of the stuff you forgot to bring (landing net handles in my case). They also have a couple of open matches a week if you fancy them but there are plenty of other lakes available on match days.

Marker50

Site Supporter
booked on forda lodges near bude.in august.
Anyone know it.
Ps wife likes reading at side of lake while i fish

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
booked on forda lodges near bude.in august.
Anyone know it.
Ps wife likes reading at side of lake while i fish
Forda or Wooda,?
I have re-booked a week at Wooda Lakes in september, should have gone a couple of weeks ago ,but cancelled due to lockdown.
It's at a place called Holsworthy about 7 miles from Bude.
Got 4 lakes and 12 lodges, 3 of which have hot tubs, booked one of those,

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Docklow... been going there for the last 12 years with my mates... cracking fishing, 9 lakes and 6 stretches of the Wye, Teme and Lugg, cracking grub and bar, superb tackle shop set in beautiful surroundings, Leomimster is 5 mins down the road,
9 hole pitch and putt course and tennis courts and acres of woodland walks...
Accommodation can be B&B in the pub to comfy chalets and apartments.. very reasonable rates and the Bozward family are friendly and welcoming