Fishing hacks

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
Hi guys, I know you lot are a mine of information and have great fishing hacks and thought it might be worth having a post listing a few gems you’ve discovered over time.

I was tying rigs a few weeks back and cleaning the writing off the winders with Cif and a scourer when I decided to give it a try experimenting with other household products.

I always use a black sharpie pen to write on the winders and remembered that hairspray will remove ballpoint pen marks from fabric before using a mild detergent, so decided to give it a try on the winders using a tissue and it came off within a few seconds. As I went onto clean about 80 winders it saved me a great deal of time.

I’m sure you guys have other hacks that you have come across that you might be happy to share…..

Paul22

Hi guys, I know you lot are a mine of information and have great fishing hacks and thought it might be worth having a post listing a few gems you’ve discovered over time.

I was tying rigs a few weeks back and cleaning the writing off the winders with Cif and a scourer when I decided to give it a try experimenting with other household products.

I always use a black sharpie pen to write on the winders and remembered that hairspray will remove ballpoint pen marks from fabric before using a mild detergent, so decided to give it a try on the winders using a tissue and it came off within a few seconds. As I went onto clean about 80 winders it saved me a great deal of time.

I’m sure you guys have other hacks that you have come across that you might be happy to share…..
Brillo pad used dry works well on winders too 👍

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use acetone for cleaning ink from winders, a microfibre cloth dipped in acetone and a swipe is all that is required.
Be careful with Acetone, it has a very low flashpoint and is a known carcinogen

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
All the mags recommend hooking the maggot at the fat end, I hook em in the head as it allows more of the hook point to be taken in, my catch rate has rocketed... if they are finickey I nick em in the middle...

ALLROUND TRYER

Came across this yesterday.. could be a great hack if it works. Going to experiment with it a little and see what happens.