Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

Just got this in:

Charles Jardine to go Fishing for Food during first annual British Food Fortnight

The Countryside Alliances Campaign for Angling Director, Charles Jardine, is to spend the first British Food Fortnight fishing for different types of fish all over the UK.

The celebration of British Food begins on October 26th and Charles will spend the entire fortnight on the road. Various angling celebrities will join him over the course of the fortnight, helping him cook the fish for the public and also raising the profile of home-caught fish as a healthy addition to the family diet.

Charles Jardine commented, Fishing for Food will be a gruelling fortnight in which I hope to catch everything from bass to mackerel, grayling to salmon, and show people how to cook them. As well as being great fun to catch, British fish are a varied and wonderful bunch, delicious to eat and incredibly good for you. I am looking forward to joining forces with the likes of John Wilson, Bob James and Keith Arthur at venues all over Britain from Wales to Cornwall to Cambridgeshire, so anyone who can come along to see how to catch (I hope! or I will be very hungry indeed at the end of the two weeks!) and cook British fish should come and see us. You can also hear a tape specially recorded for us by DJ and television presenter Chris Tarrant. Chris has been kind enough to wish British Food Fortnight well even though he cant help me to Fish for Food.

He continued, I am delighted to be taking part in British Food Fortnight. It will highlight all the great food right under our noses and encourage the average British consumer to support his or her local economy by buying British. I think this is a great message and hope I can persuade people to get out there, fishing not just for the sheer pleasure it gives, but the very real and excellent food it provides of course you got to catch them first! Ill be taking a packet of sausages just in case!

I must add he is only fishing in sea, rivers and estuaries so it looks like the puddles are safe [:D]

Come to think of it what species of fish have you all eaten?

I'll start with mine and marks out of 10

Eel (Smoked) - 8/10
Trout (Grilled, poached, boiled, roast, baked, fried, etc - used to work on Trout Farms lol) 5/10
Salmon - 4/10

Whilst abroad:
Carp - (OMG) 6/10
Tench (smoked) 7/10
Pike (cakes) 8/10
Gudgeon (grilled) 4/10

and a multitude of sea fish the best being fresh caught Mackeral

Dave

MALC

Hope he's not going to any where that i've fished otherwise he WILL STARVE
[:D][;)][:I][;)][:I][;)][:I][;)][:D]

Best Sea fish was Shark straight off the boat years ago.

Can not remember what they tasted like but when i was a kid (about 30 yr ago) my grandad cooked every fish that we caught from a plate of Minnows through to Pike steaks,

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Trevski

I'm the same MALC.

I started off fishing with my Grandad and anything that
he fancied was taken home to eat.

One of my vivid memories was his lessons in catching
mere perch. Basically chuck out a worm at 2 ft depth.

Fish were kept with the folowing formula:

Under 1/2 pound = Livebait (he swore by em for winter pike)
1/2 pound to 1 pound = Eater
1 Pound & over = Lovely fish, back it goes

Perch is a mild flavor, slightly sweet, and is best cooked
filleted and pan fried in a little butter and chopped parsley. [:p]
VERY tasty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it were this simple...

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
well i went fishing with me grandad, but we had findus fish fingers with chips & peas & tomato sauce,[:p]

and iv'e had Birds-eye cod in butter sauce, (boil in the bag)[:D]

kippers fresh, straight from the fridge,[:eek:)]

tuna & mayonnaise sandwiches,[^]

Birds-eye cod in bread crumbs,[;)]

Youngs fish & broccally pie,[V]

Birds-eye haddock in batter,[:)]

and if we were having company, John West salmon sandwiches,[8D]

teepee.

angler-mark

I'll Be round fer Tea Tony [:D], I love Red Salmon (John West's)

Tight Lines

Mark

matt

in my opinion, you can't beat freshly caught grilled bass, straight from the solent, but come to think of it, dave's grilled gudgeon sounds particularly appetising. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm gudgeon![:p]

You cheeky monkey!

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Mark no probs, [8D]

1 red salmon sandwich = 1 day on PAD [^][:p][^]

teepee.

Status
Not open for further replies.