Fishing for barbel on the River Wye at Bredwardine

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
So back from Scotland tomorrow and then getting ready for a three day trip a week on Sunday on the River Wye. As I am an out and out match man on commies I am after any advice on barbel and chub fishing. We have a seven mile stretch which is owned by the Red Lion pub and by all accounts it has been fishing well for the last couple of weeks. Looking at the weather it is going to be dry so I imagine the water will be down. The stretch we have is meant to be fairly slow in flow and a gravel bottom with very little in the way of snags and a few bends in the river. I am taking a couple of barbel rods and a 15 foot float rod for a bit of trotting.

Any local help or advice on tactics would be greatly appreciated (y):)

Just spent three days on the Wye. Fished Worcester Angling Society at Lower Bishopwood, Ross on Wye Town stretch and Hoarwothy.
The river is very low, fishing is extremely difficult at this minute in time.
Three Chub, one very small Barbel over three days is not a good return. That’s fishing.
Most anglers I spoke to were struggling.
Early morning, or late evening seemed to be the best time for those who caught.Those who did catch caught on Halibut pellets.
Hope this helps,
Buck.🎣🎣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In the state I’ve always found it in its a very varied bit of river flow and depth wise as can change for fast and shallow to deeper and a bit slower and it’s always been very clear with a clean bottom with no weed. Seems to have very periodic feeding spells where you can go from catching nothing for hours to manic hours of catching from nowhere. Never experienced anything else like it non tidal fishing wise literally goes from bust to boom and back again! That’s chub, dace and trout though I’ve not personally caught any barbel out of it and I don’t think as many do come out as yesteryear although the odd couple have when I’ve been there.

The way I’ve fished it (barbel rod is also in but achieving nothing so this is a general approach)is to run a float down first and see if there’s anything in the peg which is usually a no. You can then stick with it until you catch but that’s proved a slow game for me so I tend to switch to feeder as it’s less effort to build the swim that way given the flow. Then when you start to catch on the feeder which always happens at some point depending on the peg it can be more effective to switch back to the float. Bait has always been a mix of maggots and small halibut pellets for me and the few barbel I have seen caught from it have tended to fall to these as well with the odd one to meat.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Just spent three days on the Wye. Fished Worcester Angling Society at Lower Bishopwood, Ross on Wye Town stretch and Hoarwothy.
The river is very low, fishing is extremely difficult at this minute in time.
Three Chub, one very small Barbel over three days is not a good return. That’s fishing.
Most anglers I spoke to were struggling.
Early morning, or late evening seemed to be the best time for those who caught.Those who did catch caught on Halibut pellets.
Hope this helps,
Buck.🎣🎣
Thanks Buck I have a sackful of them luckily and very oily.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Thank you Silverfisher, you said the other month you would put me right. Much appreciated mate (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thank you Silverfisher, you said the other month you would put me right. Much appreciated mate (y)

Your welcome. Not sure I’d go as far as put you right as still haven’t figured it out properly myself but gives you something to start with! Definitely a tricky stretch much harder to figure out than most other bits of river I’ve fished. Really is unique at least in my experience in terms how it seems to suddenly go from empty to solid with fish lol

Definitely interested to see how you get on. You should at least get a bit better warmer weather than I’ve ever had on it which might help it be more consistent.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
It's a shame your two hours away or you could have come for a pint :(

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is indeed a little far, is a fun bar there (at least in normal times) as theres always people to talk fishing with. Good beer and decent food as well!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Have a word with Mike the Red Lion Guvnor he'll be able to point you onto the fish... the swims above the bridge are quit e productive with pellets as hookbait with pellet and groundbait feeders... did well there in the past

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have only had a couple of sessions on the Wye this year, the river is very low, very clear and very weedy at the minute. Which makes life a little more difficult, I have fished the Ross Town stretch and found a nice clear run, fished the stick float for Dace and a a couple of nice Chub, also fished Monmouth, I had a hard day barbel fishing, lost one fish in a weed bed and caught 2 Chub. Had a little more luck on the Monnow.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Have a word with Mike the Red Lion Guvnor he'll be able to point you onto the fish... the swims above the bridge are quit e productive with pellets as hookbait with pellet and groundbait feeders... did well there in the past
My mate who is the river man rang Mike yesterday and he said although the river is down there are some good fish coming out. More chub than barbel but good fish. Just looking forward to a few days doing something different and a holiday. It's been over a week.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never had a pike attack or even seen one there but I have no doubt there’ll be some in there. Plenty of big salmon you might “fluke” on a lure though!

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Never had a pike attack or even seen one there but I have no doubt there’ll be some in there. Plenty of big salmon you might “fluke” on a lure though!
Good advice. If I did catch a salmon it wouldn't be because I had targeted them obviously.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Talk about excited. Gear all checked, re-checked and then checked again. Bait checked and looking good. Clothes packed in holdall along with biscuits. Getting picked up in the morning at 03.45 and then a 3 1/2 drive down to the river. Weather forecast is ideal and all we need are the fish to play ball. Better just go and check my gear again, just in case.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Show even the slightest indication that you are fishing for Salmon (even unintentionally) without licence on the Wye and they will have you off the water in no time at all.
The Wye Usk Foundation are very protective of the Salmon stocks and clubs have lost access before if they couldn't control anglers on their waters.