Fishing Flooded Rivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

A bit of a topical question this but - How do you fish a flooded river?

I was always under the impression that you'd be lucky to get a bite let alone a fish when the water was rising; the best times when the water was on it's way back down.

Let's hear your ideas and methods.....

Cheers, Dave

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
are you fishing feeder or stick?
if your fishing stick look for the slack water or a crease
from the flow
i dont use the feeder you pick up to much rubbish,
but if you cant use the stick use enough weight
on feeder to hold bottom
if that fails go home or the pub(LOL)

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Big Smelly baits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6 month old cheese paste with a nice mouldy crust on it is a particular favorite.If you can stand the smell it aint ripe enough.

If it's chub you could always try Norm's secret bait icon_smile_wink.gif Say no more squire!

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I tend to look for slack water close to the near bank if theres overhead cover all the better. Fish big smelly baits like slightly over flavoured meat garlick sausage etc.legered obviously. Casting just into the flow allowing the bait to roll in to the slack.

I have no problems fishing a rising river I took my best ever chub haul as I was being chased up the bank by the river.

I tend not to fish if the river is in full flood due to the amount of c**p that gets washed down.

chill out go fishing

Edited by - esox.20 on 15 August 2002 12:42:51 AM

Ive done fair bit of fishing in floods and you can get some great catch's. Just look at what we had last weekend at TJ's the river was a good 2ft up and rising and it fished it's head off. One thing though its not really a good idea to fish a river that is flooded big time on your own. Look for slacks in the water cow drinks etc can hold alot of fish, Look for back waters as well.

www.tjsangling.co.uk
stickfloatking@tjsangling.co.uk

dbarri

Try to catch it went it is dropping. If you fish it on the rise, it will be washing fresh rubbish off the banks. If there is rubbish coming down, don't fish too far out, don't use a quivertip (you might break it), cast regularly. Barbel are the most reliable feeders in flooded rivers, and will feed as it rises. Chub are a bit hit and miss. Lobworm is a good bait, and as someone else has pointed out, smelly cheese. Golfball sizes chunks of luncheon meat are good (may be a bit of a culture shock to use baits of this size, but they work - think positive). If this is not your cup of tea, then don't do it.

Stewart Bloor

Take one of my current venues - the lower Severn. A rising river is excellent for barbel. The higher the better, only once the river bursts the banks acces can be a problem!

I will fish a heavy lead, maybe even a 5 or 6 ounce, but generally I will get away with a 3 oz in a slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.