Fishing first match - any tips (ace diagram inc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am fishing my first match on Wednesday. I am an amateur angler and figured I'm not going to learn until I fish matches. Can anybody give me any tips or tricks?

I'm fishing Greavesend pond in Goole and I know that bream can be caught on sweetcorn. But can you offer any other advice when bream fishing. I've got groundbait and hemp. A size 12 hook, and shot spaced like so (Please humour my diagram)

<>____--...___..__.<<>>__?

loop on left that attaches to pole <>, than some line ___,then the float--, then 3 shot..., more line __, 2 shot .., more line, dust shot., the line attached to hook length <<>> 4lb line with a 2lb hook length, more line__ and then the size 12 hook.

Put simply I have shot spaced out getting lighter towards the float. Is this correct when fishing for bream? The fish I hope to catch are about 1.5 - 2lb.

What else can be added to this to make the day worthwhile?

cess monkey

There are a lot of big fish in that pond, I used to push a couple of tins of cat meat through a groundbait riddle but save some lumps for the hook. Add some water to the riddled slop and use a small pot to cup it in a little at a time, fish a bigger lump on your hook and you should catch.
You will have to step up your line strength as you could be hitting fish around the 15lb mark, or you could use a running line but still feed with your pole cup to keep it accurate. Dont forget to feed tight in the margins too although (depending on how many anglers are fishing) this line might not work for a couple of hours.

Originally posted by cess monkey

There are a lot of big fish in that pond, I used to push a couple of tins of cat meat through a groundbait riddle but save some lumps for the hook. Add some water to the riddled slop and use a small pot to cup it in a little at a time, fish a bigger lump on your hook and you should catch.
You will have to step up your line strength as you could be hitting fish around the 15lb mark, or you could use a running line but still feed with your pole cup to keep it accurate. Dont forget to feed tight in the margins too although (depending on how many anglers are fishing) this line might not work for a couple of hours.

Cat meat, thats a new one on me. Definately worth a go thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.