Fishing down the edge - feeding ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Although I do fish paste at my local for carp I don’t properly or actively fish “down the edge” match style. It’s a pole technique I’ve seen a lot of on videos but I’m unfamiliar with in practice but as I’m off to a commie Saturday for the first time ever with Jacob to teach a friend & his Ukrainian refugee guest how to method feeder fish I thought I’d take the opportunity to try something new myself.

We will hopefully be at Monk’s Lakes on Bridges or Puma ( there’s a FishO qualifier on the 4 match lakes) so from what I’ve been told a perfect venue.

Thinking of going with groundbait potted in and fishing paste over the top or maybe a hooked expander - seen a lot of different approaches on videos.

If I set up to fish 2+2 either side of my platform then when do I start feeding before I drop in with a rig? How long do I feed for before dropping in a rig? Do I leave it until late in our session before I start the edge or can I begin at any time?

All help & advice appreciated as usual.

Total

Site Supporter
@OldTaff ....I'd seriously consider going on another weekend Karl.....Fisho' days at are absolutely manic down at Monks....(y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
@Total thanks for that - need to look for a different venue then because little ‘un is too excited to cancel now.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
@Total thanks for that - need to look for a different venue then because little ‘un is too excited to cancel now.
Try Orchard Farm at Paddock Wood. 3 match lakes (including one silvers). A total of around 12 lakes in all I think. The website will tell you more! Not easy to find but I've enjoyed some great sessions down there on either lake 5 or 6. Book in at the main office - careful of the all day breakfast loving doggies wandering around the car park hunting sausages etc. Tight Lines

tincatim

Site Supporter
I don’t match fish so can only speak from a pleasure angler’s perspective, but I often fish the margins early on and find them productive. For better results I do prefer to let the fish settle over the feed so I might feed fairly heavily and leave it for an hour. Bait would depend on the venue and the conditions, but more often than not I’ll feed groundbait with any combination of micros, corn, casters, or maggots. All depends on the day. I’ll usually start two margin swims, with varied approaches for each side.

A lot of commercials tend to see the bigger carp come into the margins later on in the match. I’ve found that true in pleasure fishing, but you can still catch them early on without having to worry about keeping them there for the duration of the match.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I don’t match fish so can only speak from a pleasure angler’s perspective, but I often fish the margins early on and find them productive. For better results I do prefer to let the fish settle over the feed so I might feed fairly heavily and leave it for an hour. Bait would depend on the venue and the conditions, but more often than not I’ll feed groundbait with any combination of micros, corn, casters, or maggots. All depends on the day. I’ll usually start two margin swims, with varied approaches for each side.

A lot of commercials tend to see the bigger carp come into the margins later on in the match. I’ve found that true in pleasure fishing, but you can still catch them early on without having to worry about keeping them there for the duration of the match.

Perfect - just what I was after.

Will feed one side groundbait + pellets and the other side groundbait + corn so I can alternate hookbaits and swims. Was given a tube of Fjuka NeeonZ (yellow) yesterday to try out which might be interesting as well.

Primarily the day is about teaching Steve & Aleksie method fishing but if I can get the margins right then Jacob and I may bag up too as he is really comfortable on short pole although paste maybe a bit of a stretch yet.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
The thing with groundbait is it can bring too many fish into your margin and foul hookers can be a pain. Personally l would go one side, dump pot groundbait with just the odd 3 or 4 free offerings relying on the g/b to bring them in, and on the other side feed corn 25% and micros 75% via a toss pot. See what they want on the day.
Alternatively you can dump pot a bed of corn and groundbait and fish a meter or so further along or out from the margin and pick them off as they come into the feed.
Dead maggots are excellent in the margin but will get wafted about, 3 or 4 fished half depth or so can be deadly but also prone to foul hooking.

JLK

As above but use full dendra worms on the hook over each line as an alternate hookbait. Slap the worm hard on the surface before placing the rig to stun it or gently stretch it between your finger nails.
They are a heavy hookbait and stay put while carp are munching.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
As above but use full dendra worms on the hook over each line as an alternate hookbait. Slap the worm hard on the surface before placing the rig to stun it or gently stretch it between your finger nails.

An excuse to raid the wormery, excellent.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
There is no "one size fits all" answer to feeding the margins. Some days you want a bed of feed, others just 6-10 particles for each fish. This is one of the things that keeps margin fishing interesting for me.

Groundbait rarely features in my plans as it is banned in some of the fisheries I fish most.

There are days when you will catch from the start and others you need to be patient. And some days you will catch on a topkit (I love those days) and others you need to fish to the next platform, or halfway if occupied.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
just had 2 excellent sessions on my club water fishing method feeder in the margins(pellet n corn) putting it in with cupping kit, put 2 balls pellet n corn in first, left it a while then introduced feeder over top with cupping kit, put a swan shot 3ft from feeder to keep line pinned to deck, just tightened up to put slight bend in tip then slackened clutch right off so when carp hooked itself and bolted less chance of smashing hooklength, it worked a treat, i watched a video a few weeks ago on youtube on the subject so thought id give it a go....mission accomplished. give it a go Taff. (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
In some fishery owner's eyes a shot above the feeder may be against their rules regarding free running rigs.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Excellent advice, stunned dendras are a killer bait down the edge. Infact l won one of the MD's Lindholme matches using this very tactic😊 but you get through the groundbait, l think l mixed up 3 2kg bags and dump potted every 3rd put in to keep the fish coming, stayed on it all match👍

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
There is no "one size fits all" answer to feeding the margins. Some days you want a bed of feed, others just 6-10 particles for each fish. This is one of the things that keeps margin fishing interesting for me.

Groundbait rarely features in my plans as it is banned in some of the fisheries I fish most.

There are days when you will catch from the start and others you need to be patient. And some days you will catch on a topkit (I love those days) and others you need to fish to the next platform, or halfway if occupied.
ignore whot he says bud ,he cant catch owt lol

lliopp

Site Supporter
If your taking three kids I will be surprised if you get time to fish yourself, good luck 👍

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If your taking three kids I will be surprised if you get time to fish yourself, good luck 👍
Only taking two - my mate is older than me and he’ll have the 11yr old whilst I have my own 6yr old. My Jacob usually alternates short sessions fishing with longer sessions chilling with a book or iPad whilst I fish. As long as we have snacks & drink then all is good.

lliopp

Site Supporter
That makes it easier, I know from experience that when the snacks run out it's time to go. Have fun

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
If your chosen water holds matches, it's worth making a show of chucking in a bit of loosefeed at the time the matches usually finish - say 3pm or 4pm.
Some places ban the throwing-in of leftover bait, but on many ponds where it happens, you can see the tails sticking out of the water as the freebies are mopped up.
Fish have little watches, and they know when a bait is less likely to have a hook in it.
You can even walk away from the peg noisily, then creep quietly back into position, to enhance the deception.
:cool:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
We’ll be on one of the two pleasure lakes as the 4 match lakes are tied up with FishO but I’m certain that people bung bait in at the end of sessions on those lakes too.