fishing commercials without pellets

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Having got back into coarse fishing in the past year going to try a commercial pond at aston never fished or used pellets in my life can you still have a good day fishing just using maggot corn hemp maybe worm without having to buy or use pellets

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes I very rarely use pellets as they attract too many carp for my liking. My approach for lakes is pretty much the same as rivers in that it usually centres around maggot, hemp and groundbait. Only really use pellets if I can find small dark hookable ones that go well with the hemp.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Course you can, but theres no mystery in pellets, theres plenty of info on this site and youtube on how and what to use

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@DAMFLASK CHRIS

Is this Aston at Sheffield? If so use maggot, luncheon meat, castors, and sweetcorn. A bed of Hemp and using some chopped worm also works in the margins.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Yes you can, just because everyone else is using pellets doesn't mean the fish won't eat other things and sometimes doing things differently to everyone else pays dividends

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Try some wheat, dirt cheap and simple to prepare, loose feed and fish sweet corn as hook bait.
You can always add some colour and or flavouring.
You can try wheat on the hook but you would have to scale down on hook size.

Dusty

Having got back into coarse fishing in the past year going to try a commercial pond at aston never fished or used pellets in my life can you still have a good day fishing just using maggot corn hemp maybe worm without having to buy or use pellets

You can have a good day using whichever baits you like. There is nothing difficult about using pellets though, why not give it a try? Expand your horizons.

duudiz

Stream stalker
I was the same last year after getting back into fishing. I went to a local commercial and everyone was using pellets. I used groundbait, maggot and sweetcorn. I caught as much as anyone else but had more variety in the bag (Carp, crucians, bream, tench) not just Carp like others were pulling out.

So in short - not specifically needed.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
In the summer, some commercials have so many small fish present, that maggots are too frustrating to use, but plenty of other baits work.

I’m not sure why you would want to limit yourself, commercial fish see pellets as a staple diet and on some venues, pellets will out fish other baits by a big margin. In the autumn and winter, I love fishing casters, worms and dead maggots for bream and skimmers, but at this time of year, pellets would be my first line of attack, as they just love them.

Dusty

Adding to the above as well, on most commercials you are likely to run into a carp no matter what baits you use.
I was fishing maggot shallow for Rudd in my last match and had a few carp.

Try using only 1 or 2mm pellets of fishing got smaller fish and trying to avoid carp.

davylad

Site Supporter
It depends on the venue, you couldn't ignore pellets on the silver matches I fish. They don't win every match, but if the skimmers are having a go, and you're on them, they'll beat other baits almost every time, especially in the warmer months. I'm talking about expanders mind, personally I haven't that much confidence in a hard pellet for silvers, sometimes they work for me, but rarely beat a soft one. Maybe it's just me, but I've been knocking on the door regularly for a while, so there's got to be something in it. I must admit though, I do get quite a few carp, but it's hard not to whatever bait you use.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
have fished commercials in past but its over twenty years ago can remember fishing at messingham sand catching rudd on waggler and maggot and hooking 5lb chub fished at sherwood forest catching near weed beds on pole with worm and sweetcorn for tench and carp will try 2 swims on maggot and hemp and buy some pellets and put pellets in different area see how it fishes
@DAMFLASK CHRIS

Is this Aston at Sheffield? If so use maggot, luncheon meat, castors, and sweetcorn. A bed of Hemp and using some chopped worm also works in the margins.
yes will be aston sheffield been told to take meat and corn

johng19

me@home.com
Why not use pellet if you catch on them, they are by far the cheapest way to fish. People on rivers and canals are using them and doing quite well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I fish pellet because they're dirt cheap. £5 for 3 big bags from a car boot. Same with Lidl or Aldi sweetcorn.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Corn, 35p/tin, luncheon meat 99p/tin. £1.34 will get you a good day's fishing on most commercials and a lot cheaper than maggot and worm. And leftovers can be frozen for next time.

Pellet fishing is simple but does need a bit of preparation. I explain here

I don't cover using shop bought hooker pellets as until recently I had never found any that were effective. By accident I have found that the ones from Cotswold Bait Creations are as close to expanders as I have used.

But they have been taken over by Copdock Mill and may not be available for a while. Worth checking on though as I rate them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Worms are less cheap unless you get your own but I agree they can be deadly and underused in warmer weather too.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If you limit your baits, you limit your options. If they're not having the meat or corn then it's game over. I usually take 4 or 5 baits with me, worm, maggot, castor, meat and, on occasions, hemp.