Fishing clubs Preston/Lancashire area

catzeyes79

Hi
Never Beenpart of a club and never match fished.

Having recently got back into fishing, I'm thinking of joining a club.

Is it worthwhile and can anyone recommend a local club

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
What sort of fishing do you want to do? Rivers, natural still waters, specimen, commercial, match or pleasure?

catzeyes79

Hi

Great question (doh).

I'm mainly a pleasure angler but would consider match angling to start learning more.

I'd probably stick to easy access venues at commercials or canals.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Wigan Anglers, Southport and District angler. Prince Albert have some good stretches of the Ribble and a few local stillwaters. Withnell Anglers and Vernons Lodge are worth looking at to see if they take your fancy.

sampower

I'd like to see some answers to this, too! I'm a member of a small club with a small private water in Burscough but would like to get involved with a club who fish local(ish) every weekend!

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Try asking in Wayne’s Tackle on Blanche Street. I am sure I have seen an advert in there for a club that fishes matches. Or ask in Ted Carters on Church Street.

SteveinSwindon

I have recently moved to the same area. If you fancy trying canal matches, there is a small group who have matches on the Lancaster Canal a few times a month. They are technically opens, as the controlling club don't charge pegging fees. That means you could try matches without committing to a club initially. Saying that the canal is hard at the moment but we have a good bit of banter. Commercials might mean you catch more, but for the purists, that isn't proper fishing :p:p

sampower

I have recently moved to the same area. If you fancy trying canal matches, there is a small group who have matches on the Lancaster Canal a few times a month. They are technically opens, as the controlling club don't charge pegging fees. That means you could try matches without committing to a club initially. Saying that the canal is hard at the moment but we have a good bit of banter. Commercials might mean you catch more, but for the purists, that isn't proper fishing :p:p
I’ve only fished the canal twice last year and I got sick of the boats. Loads of them where I live it’s chocker. Gonna have a good go this year just need to find where the big bream live 😁

SteveinSwindon

I’ve only fished the canal twice last year and I got sick of the boats. Loads of them where I live it’s chocker. Gonna have a good go this year just need to find where the big bream live 😁
Traffic is dying down now its colder - think we had about 6 boats go through in 5 hours on Sunday. I wouldn't worry too much about them - I carried on catching within minutes of one going right over my pole line. I'm still learning areas etc, but have had a few bream before the temps dropped.

sampower

Wigan DAA St Helens DAA Southport DAA all good value for money
Southport's water aren't great I'm told by local tackle shop and anglers.
Wigan has taken my eye as I like the looks of the Heapy Lodges's in Chorley and Yarrow Valley Park but I want to talk to someone who actually fishes the venues to find out how they fish and how busy the waters are. I've visited a few of the waters and there's not been anyone fishing.

derwentboy

Wigan has taken my eye as I like the looks of the Heapy Lodges's in Chorley and Yarrow Valley Park but I want to talk to someone who actually fishes the venues to find out how they fish and how busy the waters are. I've visited a few of the waters and there's not been anyone fishing.
I was a member of SDAA for a year recently..depends what you want really. They have the Church Deeps stretch of the Ribble which is good and the Rufford Canal . The best waters for me were 2 lakes that they lease from a local farmer near Burscough one of which is great for Carp and the one next door for good tench fishing in the summer. They also have Rivington which is a good bream /feeder venue and I believe is good for piking. That said Ithink Southport are best known for having all of the Drains/River Crossens which have been their main waters for years and had a good reputation (especially for pike) but they have suffered in the last few years due to too much fertiliser run off and subsequent weed growth. I've never fished the Drain system. You'll see all these on their websites. I used to be a member of Wigan when I was a lad and they have plenty of the LeedsLiverpool which is a decent canal venue. Fished the Heapey lodges too many years ago and they also had Worthington Lakes but I'm not sure if they still have them. Adlington Angling Centre or Leigh Tackle and Bait or even TedCarter's (now Angling Direct in Preston) should be able to give you some good advice.

derwentboy

Sampower if you want some canal matches, Southport have winter and summer canal matches and I'm sure Wigan have a weekly canal knock up at different locations.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
WAA have Worthington lakes
You could also try Coppull Angling shop for info.
I would say Ted Carters ,(now angling direct) would be a good starter for info,

Nintyp

Not to sure about yarrow, there are some good bream and carp in there. Heapy lodges are very hard waters to fish but they do hold some big bream.