Fishing between Portsmouth and Southampton

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
After the current situation wiped out most of my sea fishing opportunities this year it looks like I’ll finally be able to do some next month so will be spending the odd couple days on the south coast. When I go down there I sometimes do a bit of fishing on the Itchen navigation but that’s not really a goer this year due to it not being social distancing friendly so I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent coarse fishing between Portsmouth and Southampton?

I’m thinking of broadbands with its lakes and rivers as one option but I don’t really know much about it and any info on any other venues in that neck of the woods would be much appreciated!

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Been meaning to give it a go myself about an hours drive for me, so bit far off my usual stomping ground to be any help sorry.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Apart from being pretty much on the motorway it looks quite nice doesn’t it. Did think about heading over more your way to try the Avon but that’s a bit far out of the way really.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Even for me the lower stour and Avon is an hour or just over, in fact I think everywhere is an hour, just been down the river for a look very clear and low, better off with a still water or mill pool anywhere there is movement, did see bream about 30 just soaking up the rays nothing really big if there up in the water fishing is nearly a wast of time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds interesting, sometimes they do that in the canal here. Luckily the Thames is in good nick now so the last few sessions I’ve had on it have gone well, even today was good even with a downstream wind lol

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Have no idea where I'm going tomorrow after looking at it today and the weather being hot again tomorrow, was heading to chard res, but had to put a new battery on the car so kind of sucked up the bait budget. Umm decide tomorrow.

MarkW

Even for me the lower Stour and Avon is an hour or just over, in fact I think everywhere is an hour, just been down the river for a look very clear and low, better off with a still water or mill pool anywhere there is movement, did see bream about 30 just soaking up the rays nothing really big if there up in the water fishing is nearly a waste of time.
I fished the lower Stour on Friday with tares over hemp just 2ft deep and after getting some roach to over a pound the bream that were also up in the water finally started feeding just as I had to pack up. I had two of the smaller ones at 3lb and over 4lbs but one or two looked over 8lbs... Rare to see bream chasing hemp like that.

I used to fish Broadlands back in the 80s when it was very much a match water (before the two smaller lakes were built) and mainly small roach and bream though the carp had just been stocked. Now it's very much a session carp water but has some excellent other fish though expensive even by local standards.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looking at the website it looks like there’s a load of faff involved with fishing the lakes atm which isn’t all that appealing. Might send them an email and see if it extends to the rivers as all that red tape isn’t very necessary when we’ve all managed to fish safely for the last couple months without all that. Justifiable a couple months ago for sure but bit OTT now.

Definitely a shortage of coarse venues in that neck of the woods but guess it’s to be expected given the wealth of sea and fly fishing around there. Will just be happy to get to sea again tbh but be nice to find a bit of coarse fishing to fill in for the Itchen whilst that isn’t an advisable venue.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have seen some cracking fish in the Itchen at Mansbridge. It’s a typical urban venue with all the Argos anglers and strange characters that come with such places but it might be ok to try in the week.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Yea I was thinking park lakes and free stretches in urban areas do attract some character's but a morning visit might be ok.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Oh I looked at the broadlands lakes list of Rules and yes I would avoid the draconian measures as well, there quite OTT in my humble opinion.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Can't beat Broadlands IMO. I used to fish the main lake a lot on the old club card. Check on the wind direction for up to 72 hours before your visit and you won't go far wrong fishing the windward side if it doesn't change direction in those 72 hours. £14 for a day ticket is good value.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah got no problem with the price for a one off but does take the edge of a day's fishing when it involves a ton of jumping through hoops to do it. Might send them a message anyway see what the full deal is.

MarkW

Looking at the website it looks like there’s a load of faff involved with fishing the lakes atm which isn’t all that appealing. Might send them an email and see if it extends to the rivers as all that red tape isn’t very necessary when we’ve all managed to fish safely for the last couple months without all that. Justifiable a couple months ago for sure but bit OTT now.

Definitely a shortage of coarse venues in that neck of the woods but guess it’s to be expected given the wealth of sea and fly fishing around there. Will just be happy to get to sea again tbh but be nice to find a bit of coarse fishing to fill in for the Itchen whilst that isn’t an advisable venue.
There are loads of coarse venues in that area but many of them are club waters; in my match days we fished Romsey, Eastleigh, Test Valley, Michelmersh, Portsmouth RN club waters, venues like Dryad, Wide Lane, Broadlands, Stoneham etc..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
True I should have said not many day tickets. Portsmouth, Eastleigh and test valley have tied up much of the waters.

davej1981

Coming the other from Portsmouth i think theres quite a few places in chichester. No idea if they on day tickets but numerous lakes and pits and the chichester canal. Depending on traffic its 45 mins east of Portsmouth/Southampton

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Chichester canal is one I’m tempted by, been to look at it couple times and there is some nice stretches. Will have to look at lakes around Chichester as well as like you say it’s not too far from Portsmouth ??

davej1981

Used to work chicheste way alot and always wondered what the fishing was like. I know ivy lake used to hold lots of opens and was carp dominated back in the days when method fishing was a modified emstat frame feeder

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ll have to some more researching down that way as definitely is within reach. If I don’t find much I might have to do some shore fishing around the boat trips. I know what I’m doing around structure but don’t have a clue about beaches lol