Fishing at the right time of day

jimmcd

I wake at 3am for a 20min walk to my local lake & fish from dawn to 9/10 AM. It’s hard to believe I’m in the middle of a city at this time of morning. It’s only as the dog walkers appear & the need to get home to ‘the boss’ that makes me pack up. The fish seem to stop feeding at the same time though.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
When I was a kid, the only fishing available was a small tidal drain where we could catch eels and flounders, and a disused gravel pit about 15 miles away.
In Summer my lovely Mum would get up at 4am and drive me to the gravel pit, where I could stay all day, with just a big bottle of water and plenty of HP Sauce sandwiches for sustenance..
She came back to collect me late in the evening, and even then I would want one more cast.
Truth to tell, most of that time was wasted, with the fish feeding between 5 and 9am, then again between 6 and 9pm.

In the 70's, a friend and I drove 100 miles down to the Trent, arriving at dawn. By 10am the bites had dried up, but by then we'd usually had 40 or 50lb of chub, barbel and carp. Sometimes we'd be kicked off by anglers on an organised match, who would look on appalled as we tipped our full keepnets back into their swims.

You'd think the lesson would have been learned, but still, 50 years on, I still find myself fishing between about 10am and 5pm. Those very hours which I regarded as useless for fishing.
With the advent of well stocked commercials, I can still enjoy a decent day's fishing.
But I do refer to fish more natural waters, and now I'm retired there's nothing to stop me from fishing during those 'golden' hours, but I just don't get round to it.

On my favourite syndicate water, the best roach fishing is in spring and autumn. But at this time of year, pretty well any bait is ripped to shreds by smaller fish the second it hits the water.
I'm hoping that the better fish will come out to play later in the day, so this evening I shall make the effort to get out there.

Apart from the carpers, are there many early risers and late stayers among Maggotdrowners?
The best time to fish in the evening usually coincides with beer time and the best time to fish in the morning coincides with sleeping off the effects of beer time. Come on @banksy, you should know, you are a Hartleton veteran😁

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
The best time to fish in the evening usually coincides with beer time and the best time to fish in the morning coincides with sleeping off the effects of beer time. Come on @banksy, you should know, you are a Hartleton veteran😁
That's true, only Sean KP and Brian had the discipline to fish on during beer time.

Brian.jpg

The rest, well ...

DSC_0539.JPG

Can't believe this was 10 years ago.
Is Barrybloke still knocking around?
:unsure:

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
That's true, only Sean KP and Brian had the discipline to fish on during beer time.

Brian.jpg

The rest, well ...

DSC_0539.JPG

Can't believe this was 10 years ago.
Is Barrybloke still knocking around?
:unsure:
Great times Dave, a wonderful and beautiful place. I do miss the Hartleton fish in.