Fishing at mid depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

0lly

Harro!

When fishing off the bottom do you use the same weight pole float as you would fishing dead depth. For example using 0.1g per foot of water; Water is 3 foot deep so i would use 0.25/0.3g float, would i use the same weight float if i was fishing 1.5foot in 3foot of water or go for something like a 0.15g polefloat?

Silly question i know but i would just like to get it right [:I]

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
For me in that situation it would depend on the bait i was planning on using. You'd need a bigger float if your fishing a lump of luncheon meat or a lob worm on a size 8 compared to a single maggot on a 20. Other than that i just adopt common sense e.g. heavier float if its windy etc generally fish with the lightest float the conditions will allow in my opinion, this will register the majority of bites more effectively.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
It depends on the weight of the hook/bait, the conditions and the presentation you're after.

To fish at 3ft and expect to catch at 3ft then I'd look for 0.4g ish for a larger bait with 3 x no.6 at 2 ft and some droppers, for fishing small bait like maggot on the drop in good conditions I might go for a 4x8 to 4x10 delicate float with no 7 or 8 styls spread out.

What are you expecting/hoping to catch?

0lly

Cheers for the replys. Mostly carp and skimmers as they come off the bottom to compete for feed. On the hook will be 4/6mm expanders and possibly a banded 6mm. I will have a play around and see what suits it best. But you both sounds bang on the money with matching the float to the conditions and size of the bait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.