Fishing around Leeds

JayD

There appears to be a few anglers from my neck of the woods on here, and as I'm struggling to find places to fish, especially still waters, so I'm open to suggestions.
I've already said that I'm stuck in my ways, and have strong views about some things, so there are some waters that I discount from the start. It's not surprising I'm struggling to find anywhere really.
I won't fish overstocked, predominately carp oriented, waters, I've tried them, and they are not for me. If I look on Google earth, there are a few waters around here, but if see a water that has the same colour as a milky coffee, then it's a no, no. The same can be said if I look up the description of a water, and the first thing they mention is the carp fishing. I'm mainly a river angler, but I do occasionally fish canals, but even those are getting harder to access. It was so much easier back when the Leeds and Liverpool canal was run by an amalgamation of all the clubs along it's length. It's now split into small sections, each run by a different club, interspersed with bits that need the Canal Trust licence. I might be chasing the impossible, but all I really want is somewhere I can relax and floatfish for the usual suspects, roach, rudd, bream, tench, perch etc, without my swim being invaded by hordes of starving mongrel carp. Too much to ask?

Thanks in advance
John.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Non Go By Farm has a couple of lakes - the old lake is worth a try if you don't like the commercial type

There's also, Kippax ponds, Swillington Fishery, a nice lake on the road from Morley to Batley, Dicks pond at the back of Cottingley travellers site,

JayD

Thanks gents,
I've tried some of them, with the exception of No Go By, Swillington Fishery, and Allerton Bywater, so I'll look into them thanks.

Dave, by the one between Morley and Batley, do you mean the one behind the Needlers Pub? My trips there have produced a succession of F1s, and carp of different origins, but rarely any other species, apart from the odd roach, and even rarer tench. The one off Gelderd Rd, (we used to call it RingOs), is another carp dominated pond. We also used to have some trouble with a section of the travelling community, and I could never relax while fishing it.
I know I'm going back a few years, but I used to fish Middleton Park Lake, but that's got a bit lairy at times. Clayton ponds were good, but can't seem to find any info on fishing them now. Roundhay Park was a regular venue, but apart from not knowing who runs it now, it gets crowded, and there are few places to get away from the joggers, dog walkers, cyclists etc.
I re joined Leeds and District a couple of years ago, after a few years absence. It's not a patch on what it used to be in regards to access on many of their waters, miles of banking, but about 80% of it seems inaccessible. I used to fish Knotford Lagoon, but there is hardly any bank space available now, and that which is, is mostly taken over by bivvis. I was a member of Bradford No1 (as well as Leeds), from my early teens through to the 90s, but packed them in when they stocked over 2000 carp into an already well stocked, balanced fishery, (the other Knotford Lagoon). It went from a place that you could choose your target fish and tackle up accordingly, with the once in a while hook up with a carp, to one where you either had to beef up your gear, or get smashed regularly.
I'll look into your suggestions and report back, thanks again.
John.

biggsy

Site Supporter
Allerton Bywater have stretch on the Aire and Calder at Fleet Lane in Woodlesford, opposite the marina is popular.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave, by the one between Morley and Batley, do you mean the one behind the Needlers Pub? My trips there have produced a succession of F1s, and carp of different origins, but rarely any other species, apart from the odd roach, and even rarer tench. The one off Gelderd Rd, (we used to call it RingOs), is another carp dominated pond. We also used to have some trouble with a section of the travelling community, and I could never relax while fishing it.

Yes, that's the one, behind the Needlers.

The one on Geldard Road is Dicks Pond and he put an electric fence between the pond and the site - I found it one day by resting my pole on it whilst shipping back lol