Fishing an unfished lake (well, not for many many years)

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
So, out on a walk this afternoon around an old lake in the grounds of what was a big house I bumped into one of the owners. I asked about the lake and he said I could fish it if I wanted. It was a club lake over 30 years ago but it's not been fished since.

So, what should I go with maggot? Corn? On the float? Will bites be shy or will the dive on it?

Thanks

IanG1

Site Supporter
Could be tough this time of year, I would introduce a bit of feed by prebaiting over a short period up to when you plan to fish, include some dead maggots and some good old brown crumb and keep it simple. Hopefully you will drag a few fish in this way rather than just going in blind. Spend a bit of time just walking around and observing for any signs of life, again may not see much this time of year. It could be weedy if its been neglected so clearing a swim before you prebait might be worthwhile.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If I were in your shoes, I'd be trying maggot and worm. I'd probably take a slice or two of bread as well. Bread often gets a response on unfished waters that other less natural baits don't. I'd wait until temperatures rise a fair bit before experimenting with other baits. If the venue was close enough, I'd probably start pre-baiting with the likes of corn, stewed wheat and pellets once the river season is over.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d echo the maggot and worm with a bit of groundbait approach. I wouldn’t read much into your results until at least March probably April though as you can’t really judge any venue properly on how it fishes in winter as obviously some places that are truly awful this time of year can be brilliant once they warm up.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Before you fish it I’d would spend a bit of time walking around it and looking.

Before deciding on bit choices you need to have an idea of what’s in there - but whatever is in there isn’t going to be hook shy so basic natural baits should suffice.

Pretty much anything that swims will take maggot, bread, caster or worm so there is a good place to start

Silver fan 82

I echo what everyone else has said. Keep things simple. Simple, natural baits, simple rigs and methods but most importantly enjoy it! You're lucky to have found it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Same as others have said. worm, maggot, casters would be my choice, that way you could also fish cocktail baits such as worm and caster if they were up for it. There is one thing though on a water like that...don't ignore the margins.

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
As always, thanks guys, top advice.

It is local and I'm popping up quite a bit at the moment (my son has a night vision camera and after watching winter watch is on the hunt to film nocturnal creatures so we leave the camera in the afternoon and collect it in the morning).

So, I'll be walking and pre-baiting I think for a bit, I'll have a cheeky session or two because I won't be able wait but then leave it till it warms up. It has a island, some natural looking pegs, mature overhangs, it doesn't seem weeded up and there are reeds at one end. I'm quite excited!