Fishing a shallow silted lake

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I went for a wander around a local lake yesterday on the way home that I discussed in a post several months ago:

Struck up a conversation with two chaps float dead baiting for pike, without success, who know the site really well - they said the biggest problem is silt and weed. The lake has become very shallow from silt deposition and this leads to very fast and heavy weed growth as soon as the water warms up.

They had a rod set up with a cool castable fish finder and tablet that they flicked out to illustrate. Even at 40yds or so max depth was showing 3ft ‘ish.

I‘ve seen it successfully fished in the summer with a small cage feeder but didn’t take notice of the rig setup so can anyone recommend a few tactics the might be effective? It may be the old chap on that day had raked a swim out. I’d considered a method feeder prior to yesterday but don’t think that will work.

Karl

alsur

Site Supporter
I went for a wander around a local lake yesterday on the way home that I discussed in a post several months ago:

Struck up a conversation with two chaps float dead baiting for pike, without success, who know the site really well - they said the biggest problem is silt and weed. The lake has become very shallow from silt deposition and this leads to very fast and heavy weed growth as soon as the water warms up.

They had a rod set up with a cool castable fish finder and tablet that they flicked out to illustrate. Even at 40yds or so max depth was showing 3ft ‘ish.

I‘ve seen it successfully fished in the summer with a small cage feeder but didn’t take notice of the rig setup so can anyone recommend a few tactics the might be effective? It may be the old chap on that day had raked a swim out. I’d considered a method feeder prior to yesterday but don’t think that will work.

Karl
I use a method feeder successfully on a shallow silty lake I use the lightest Preston feeder.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Problem with silt is the fish will gill feed(l think thats what its called) You will get clouds of silt and feeding bubbles but very few bites. I have had success using the pellet cone and quite a long hooklength to overcome your bait sinking into the silt. Another thing l tried with reasonable results using a method feeder. I cut out polystyrene, from the tubs you get from takeaways, and used elastic bands to fix them to the bottom of method feeders. My thinking was to make them a bit more bouyant in the silt, not floating just a bit more bouyant.
Sloppy paste on the pole works well in silt aswell as does, 4-6mm expander with 2mm expanders as feed but not too many.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks guys

Don’t have a pole yet - lockdown preventing me from collecting one

I will google helicopter rigs later but good to know method will work as I’ve some 15g Preston in my box plus stocks of micros, wafters and expanders

Silver fan 82

Method feeders can be quite effective in silty water. Because of the flat, wide profile of the feeder and the fact that the weight is evenly spread over the base of the feeder they tend not to sink as much in comparison to say a bomb. Try the method feeder with a small wafter or pop up? Air injected worm could work?
As mentioned a helicopter or chod style set up would work well.

JR Hartley

Have you thought about the Emsat feeder ? It was the original method feeder. Designed by Ken Staton & Micky Emm for fishing in silt at Hever especially for the first and second bays when Bream fishing. It basically stop the ground bait & feeder disappearing into the silt

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Have you thought about the Emsat feeder ? It was the original method feeder. Designed by Ken Staton & Micky Emm for fishing in silt at Hever especially for the first and second bays when Bream fishing. It basically stop the ground bait & feeder disappearing into the silt
I’ve never even heard of an Emsat feeder let alone thought of one - more google searching

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
if its really really silted i have fished a lake before where it was 3ft of silt so anything cast out beyond a underarm flick buried! even a naked chod was hit and miss. one way we got around it was to fish a PVA bag, but instead of just bait and the lead as usual we would use a large bag and half fill with PVA nugget and try and make sure there was also as much trapped air in the bag as possible, worked well!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
alternatively depending on the lake, fish stock and what your target fish might be you can try clearing a spot yourself by regularly baiting the same spot, the fish feeding will soon remove the silt and get to a hard bottom

OldTaff

Site Supporter
alternatively depending on the lake, fish stock and what your target fish might be you can try clearing a spot yourself by regularly baiting the same spot, the fish feeding will soon remove the silt and get to a hard bottom

From what I’ve learned so far the lake formerly held large stocks of perch, tench, bream, roach, rudd, pike and carp - a lot of these were in the specimen range with carp in the 30lb+ bracket. The lake was then sold 20yrs ago and fell into decline.

Almost certainly the carp and pike have been robbed out over time, maybe the big bream too and the lake has silted up.

It was interesting watching the carp anglers yesterday, the second they put in loose feed with catapults 6 swans moved in to feed it all out and weren't even stretching to reach the bait plus a load of coot.

Worth a shot though

RMNDIL

I fish a lake exactly like this. Depth 3ft is maximum, mostly 15" - 2 1/2ft. There are masses of small perch, roach, gudgeon, skimmers of all sizes, bream, some tench, crucians and carp. Chopped worm/dead maggot = perch of 1oz almost every put as they get to the bait quicker than anything else !!! Fish a big worm over = some bream/carp/tench. Micros and soft hookers = skimmers, bream, some carp & some roach, maybe a tench. Micros and hard banded pellet = proper carp and tench & proper bream (4lb/5lb) only. Feed damp loose groundbait = masses of activity as if an aerator has been switched on !!!!

Hook a carp and it's like a train. It's so shallow that there is only one way the carp will swim and it's away from you and at 100mph ! So even with such short rigs you must have a long length of elastic.

The people i've seen fishing with bombs/PVA bags mostly use long hooklengths. Many simply anchoring a floating bait for the carp. I haven't really seen many fishing the method. I just worry that everything would get buried.