Fishing a River Smelling of Sewage...

HALTON DANGLER

Recently it was revealed i think that no Uk rivers passed cleanliness checks and its so sad to see that in this day and age. It was so sad recently after a week looking forward to a fishing session to arrive in one of my favourite swims to be met with the smell of sewage. The days short and not much scope to move i decided to try and see if i could catch

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Marked this to watch tomorrow after work. (y) Funnily enough my Brother in Law calls the weir where I fish 'The Sewage Works' as there's a plant just next to it. There is a bit of a smell there but I think that's the natural smell of the river rather than any sewage.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I once fished the River Derwent in Cumbria, between Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite, where bait fishing was allowed.
Wandering up the river towards Keswick, I came to an outfall pipe which made for a lovely platform from which to trot a float about 25 yards down.
I had two lovely trout, which I tapped on the head and placed in my bag.
The bailiff came along and asked to see my permit, which i showed him. We had a little chat, and I showed him the trout I had caught.
He nodded his head in approval, and said:
"Well yes, you can usually catch from this point, but you do realise it's a sewer outfall, don't you?
"The best bait to use here is sweetcorn, I'll leave it to your imagination why that might be".
Suddenly, the delicious tea I was planning lost its appeal.
:sick: