Fishing a massively uneven bottom on the pole. Tips?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Fishing a commie tomorrow which is stupidly uneven on the bottom, I don't personally fancy fishing this specific pond but I'm sort of forced to. Most people combat the horrible bottom by using the feeder or bomb (Which I'll also have) but I really fancy a day thrashing my pole if I can get away with it. Problem is, I'm not very confident in how I'm going to tackle it as I've never really been in a situation where the bottom is this dire. I'm talking an inch, to a few inches left or right of where you've plumbed will leave you inches, upon inches either off the bottom or overdepth. I know this isn't an ideal pole situation but I'd like to have a shot regardless.

I'm thinking about employing a lift bite type rig, Plumbing up a few inches overdepth to assure I'll be on the bottom at all times while having a bulk of stot on the closer side to the hook. The idea being when a carp takes the bait it'll lift the stotz giving me a solid indication.

Obviously, I could be thinking about this incorrectly, so I'd appreciate any tips and pointers on how to set up here.

Cheers

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Plumb up around at your chosen length, or perhaps the bottom will determine the length you fish at. When you find a nice wideish depression, fish in there with your groundbait. If the water is cold the fish will be on the bottom, but with a depression any feed moving with the tow will find its way into there. You may need to fish 2 or 3 different spots, in which case try and find the same depth in a few places. That way you can use the same rig or two and just use different baits on each line, to see what they want, or rest a line while fishing with the same bait on another.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Plumb up and find a line where the bottom is relatively level. Personally I wouldn't worry about being a dew inches over depth particularly with small baits.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Plumb up and find a line where the bottom is relatively level. Personally I wouldn't worry about being a dew inches over depth particularly with small baits.
Nowhere is level... It's actually ridiculous in there. I feel as though I'm not putting enough emphasis on 'uneven' when I say a slight move of your rig could land you either a few inches overdepth or shallow, Sometimes you could find yourself a foot too deep or too shallow! Obviously I avoid these areas but you get the jist of what I'm saying. It's horrendous. Weird thing is, I used to fish it regularly as a kid and it was probably one of the best ponds on the complex with a lovely, even bottom. Now it's as if it's been hit by a mortar team. Tell a lie, we fished it during the year before last on the pole and I had a successful day, But I was mostly fishing in the margins while hitting the island with a feeder so it wasn't exactly hard to catch. I wasn't fishing precise on the pole as it's impossible but the fish were in so much of a frenzy it didn't matter then 🤷‍♀️ The idea of fishing like that now during the colder months sounds like disaster, Hence the post. Is fishing over depth going to be an issue based on the fact we're in colder months? I was thinking about scaling down tackle wise, But the carp in there are monsters that fight hard, And can run up to 20lbs...

Cheers

Plumb up around at your chosen length, or perhaps the bottom will determine the length you fish at. When you find a nice wideish depression, fish in there with your groundbait. If the water is cold the fish will be on the bottom, but with a depression any feed moving with the tow will find its way into there. You may need to fish 2 or 3 different spots, in which case try and find the same depth in a few places. That way you can use the same rig or two and just use different baits on each line, to see what they want, or rest a line while fishing with the same bait on another.
This has been taken in. I'll definitely have a few lines set up as always in areas with similar depths if I can find it but I'm not sure how possible that'll be. Worst comes to worst, I'll have a feeder to back me up incase it doesn't work out. I just hope it does as I'm bored to death of feeder fishing right now 😵Cheers Sam

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
If you pick a far bank marker, mark the pole where your hand needs to be, using a short line from pole tip to float and pot everything in using a pole pot you should be able to get within inches of where you plumbed. I've fished a lit of uneven venues and tend not to worry about it providing you've plumbed up correctly.

What you may find is the bottom is relatively flat in that you may have silt laying over an uneven clay bottom. I'd recommend gluing a 2p coin onto the bottom of a light plummet to see if this is the case. If it is and the bottom is very silty, usually indicated by lots of fizzing and odd foul hookers look at feeding lighter baits and hook baits that don't sink into the silt.

If it's simply a hard bottom, just take your time with plumbing and if necessary fish slightly over depth

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I think you were already on the right track of thinking, I would use a 1.2 or1.5 mm tip and use a no 10 or no 9 shot about two to 3 inches from the hook, then have the bottom shot just touching bottom.
Shot the float as normal dotting it down and then add the no 10 shot to the hooklink as an extra shot, so if the rig is to deep the float will sink , if the shot is on the bottom which you want then the float will sit correct, if it sinks you just need to go left or right to get it to sit right.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Fish a few inches off the bottom.
I was going to suggest that too. I use to fish the Cardiff east dock occasionally in the SW Super League and on the roadside they just demolished the buildings and pushed them into the docks so the bottom could go from 5ft to 30ft deep in a matter of a foot on the pole line. It was a nightmare, you had the plumb around and try to find a small area that didn‘t change too much. If you were lucky you got a 2ft x 2ft area and then just fish off the bottom of that area.

I have to admit it’s one venue I’m glad I don’t have to go to anymore. Loads of fish in the venue it just so awkward to fish, now its a popular carp venue but I think they all fish on the other side which is level and Sandy.

Nicky Dodds

Has it been de-silted recently? Do they break the ice to fish in winter? Is it a newly dug venue?
There's no getting away from some extended plummet work I'd say. And the 2p trick definitely works well.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
There must be an area flat enough to fish, just keep plumbing around until you find it and if there is a sloping area, fish on that as you would any other slope.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Has it been de-silted recently? Do they break the ice to fish in winter? Is it a newly dug venue?
There's no getting away from some extended plummet work I'd say. And the 2p trick definitely works well.
Old venue, Not sure about de-silted and as far as I'm aware, you're not allowed to break the ice on this venue..... Will use the 2p trick for sure, And see what comes up....

There must be an area flat enough to fish, just keep plumbing around until you find it and if there is a sloping area, fish on that as you would any other slope.
Maybe you're right, I've tried several areas in several pegs now, but I've never really spent a lot of time really going out of my way and spending a decent amount of time to find a consistent flat, spread area. It's inevitable it exists, I'm sure so I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully I can find something.......

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fish 3/4 depth and trickle feed in from a pot, just enough to get the silvers interested. Any Carp will come off the bottom to see what's happening.
Be prepared to chase the fish up in the water if they come up chasing the feed. Likewise, be prepared to go down if they follow it down.

Have a bomb rod with an 18inch hooklength ready and every now and again put it in over your pole line.

Try three lines, left, centre and right at say 11m which will give you the option to go further out or come nearer in.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Cheers @Dave, Will keep that in mind! Plenty of advice given here, Thank you all. I'll decide what to do on the bank on the morrow. Got plenty of rigs made up for different situations.. Hopefully have a good day :cool:
Night all

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Fish 3/4 depth and trickle feed in from a pot, just enough to get the silvers interested. Any Carp will come off the bottom to see what's happening.
Be prepared to chase the fish up in the water if they come up chasing the feed. Likewise, be prepared to go down if they follow it down.

Have a bomb rod with an 18inch hooklength ready and every now and again put it in over your pole line.

Try three lines, left, centre and right at say 11m which will give you the option to go further out or come nearer in.
I think thats how id go ,i would use a slow falling rig to find the depth the fish are feeding and as Dave said pot a bit of bait in a little at a time using a sprinkle top cup . Plumb up somewhere as near flat as possible ,failing that a waggler approach with a slow falling bait.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I know I'm too late to help but this would be my solutions.

Use a 1g in line Olivette resting on the bottom to form a float leger set up. Set the rig to the deepest part with the Olivette on the deck. Shot the float as normal. The Olivette can be any distance you choose from the hook stopped with a small shot. You can then hold the float so it is in contact with the Olivette.

A float attached bottom end only waggler style can help.

An alternative using a normal rig is to set up a pair of over/under pole rests on the seatbox legs. Put the pole in these and plumb up under where the pole tip sits or slightly left or right of that point. When introducing the rig either lower straight down or lay to one side. Either way the rig will settle in the same spot every time. Once the rig has settled remove the pole from the rests and hold the rig in that position.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I know I'm too late to help but this would be my solutions.

Use a 1g in line Olivette resting on the bottom to form a float leger set up. Set the rig to the deepest part with the Olivette on the deck. Shot the float as normal. The Olivette can be any distance you choose from the hook stopped with a small shot. You can then hold the float so it is in contact with the Olivette.

A float attached bottom end only waggler style can help.

An alternative using a normal rig is to set up a pair of over/under pole rests on the seatbox legs. Put the pole in these and plumb up under where the pole tip sits or slightly left or right of that point. When introducing the rig either lower straight down or lay to one side. Either way the rig will settle in the same spot every time. Once the rig has settled remove the pole from the rests and hold the rig in that position.
Good post accuracy is extremely important, especially in this scenario

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Trying to visualise how a lake can be that uneven 🤔 couldn't have been dug that way surely and can't quite work out it could get like that naturally if it literally fluctuates that much over distances of inches like you say. You've got me envisaging something like an upturned egg box from your description which sounds rather extreme? On like Swiss cheese bottom.

Only thing I could think of doing is if it's warm enough set the float to the shallowest bit of the line immediately in front of you and try to get them feeding on the drop so to take the bottom out of the equation. A lot easier on waggler than pole with the fall of the bait I'd imagine.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I fished a swim on a lake once that, when plumbed up from left to right, the plummet would be on the bottom at one spot, move two inches and the bottom dropped 2-3 inches. Move two inches more and the bottom rose the same amount. This repeated itself. I concluded that the teeth of the digger bucket used when the lake was dug out had left gouges in the bottom that had not been smoothed over.