Fishing a fast and deep weir pool

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I fished a bit of the Thames last night that has a large weir. I tried to fish the weir pool, it's about 80-100m across, 15ft deep off the wall and there is a large eddie that flows very strongly upstream and about 3-5m wide.

I have no idea how to tackle it. I tried a big 8g loafer float with a float stop so it could slide and the stop about 13ft up the line as I have a 13ft float rod and the eyes are too small to allow the stops through. I put a bulk of shot by the hook length and used a size 18 on a 12 inch hook length.

I only caught 1 small bleak and a small roach before I gave up and trotted a much slower swim above the weir.

The flow is very strong. Even in the back eddie the flow is so strong you need 2-3oz gripper lead to hold bottom. I think you'd need a sea fishing grip lead to hold in the main flow. Do I just persevere, maybe with a different rod I can set up for a slider properly? Do I just fish the bottom with a lead or heavy feeder?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't fish large weirs but do fish a small weir. The problem I have on the float is that the flow is very unstable. I presume the water is much more stable under the surface on the bottom and so a feeder with a static bait usually outfishes the float, with my ability. That is unless I can get the fish into an eddy on the inside, but conditions have to be spot for that to happen for me. The problem I have with a feeder is that if small fish are the target, it's not much fun, only any good when there are bigger fish about.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Could try stret pegging off the rod tip if the water flow is steady enough? Work the bait down through the swim 6 inch to a foot at a time then hold it still for a five mins. Use a bait dropper to put loose feed on the bottom in the slower flow.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds a challenging spot to fish that’s for sure! I’d probably fish just downstream of it where it shallows and slows up. One of the best spots here is around 100 yards or so downstream of a weir.

buygoodtackle

Rather than using a stop, use a small bead above the float then a stop knot at the required depth. Leave the tags long (1-2inch)and you will have no problems with the knot passing through the eyes.

Robwooly

Can you say what weir it is?

Most Thames weirs are snag fests, and often different sluices are open on different days so that raging deep water whilst it looks good may not be the best area and you may turn up another time to find the current somewhere else.

Also some Thames stretches have more fish than others. When I had a Thames weir permit I found I had a lot of success fishing shallow areas especially on float and leaving the seemingly bottomless deep voids alone.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Can you say what weir it is?

Most Thames weirs are snag fests, and often different sluices are open on different days so that raging deep water whilst it looks good may not be the best area and you may turn up another time to find the current somewhere else.

Also some Thames stretches have more fish than others. When I had a Thames weir permit I found I had a lot of success fishing shallow areas especially on float and leaving the seemingly bottomless deep voids alone.
It's Windsor, Southlea farm on the Farnham ticket. The slider floats that attach top and bottom look like they might be a winner

Robwooly

It's Windsor, Southlea farm on the Farnham ticket. The slider floats that attach top and bottom look like they might be a winner
Go for it, let us know how you get on if you can, those weirs can be hit or miss with most tactics, good luck

smiffy

Site Supporter
Hate weirs myself. Although we only have millpools locally. Too many options for me to process😂
This time of year the fish will probably be in the fastest, most oxygenated water. So that’s where I’d be chucking a feeder. Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear. It’s the only way to guarantee there’s some feed near the hookbait.
Slacks often produce Perch in my experience. Possibly Bream, but they often need a bit of colour.