Fishing a big lake

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I had a very nice session yesterday, fishing maggot on the pole on a 200 acre reservoir. Finished with around 50 fish with roach to 8oz and skimmers to a pound. Nice relaxed fishing, but now I am thinking that these smaller fish must have some larger relatives and I am wondering how to best come to terms with them.
Apart from predators, Wels catfish, Pike, Zander, Perch and Black bass, the lake contains carp up to 60lb, Bream and Roach of unknown size. It's the bream and roach that interest me.
Most fishing is with lures for the predators or a boilie style approach for carp, so doesn't see much in the way of anglers bait. My instinct is to feeder fish, but it is an awfully big expanse to chuck a tiny feeder into.
How would you approach it?
plan deau.png

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Trial and error for me not knowing the venue (in the absence of some local knowledge). I don't use a pole so it would be a distance feeder for me at 60 metres or so (depends on conditions and time of year) looking for some decent sized fish on one line while pre baiting another (or two) line (s) closer in. Likely end up around 30 metres for skimmers and roach (or even closer) A pair of binoculars might be handy. Two feeder rods minimum, and a decent float. Maybe something short for the margins - likely would pre-visit and scout around

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Feeder should work, pick a good marker to cast at or a big waggler might work as far out as you can catapult feed comfortably.
Someone I know travels to France regularly for big carp and takes his sons who both catch well on the cage feeder as its only shallow at 40 meters.
If you have trouble hitting the same area a window feeder is the most accurate.

squimp

Site Supporter
Walk it early and late looking for showing fish.

Then look at the wind direction, sun aspect etc etc.

Then do some plumbing and finally pre bait a likely spot or two.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Big Roach on big Stillwater.
Work out the most prevalent wind.
Follow it, work out which way undertow is going.
Try and find a feature on edge of the ripple, down tow of the wind.
Big Roach like to sit facing the tow with food delivered to them.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
All of the above plus plumbing the depth with a bomb, and mapping out the bottom, the bigger fish will usually be further out and in deeper water, pre baiting a swim should help you out