Fishing 2 rods without tangles

Tom212

Hi guys I’m relatively new to carp fishing and I’m warming to the idea of fishing multiple rods at once. However I’m hesitant to do it due to the worry of getting my lines tangled while playing a carp and potentially harming the fish. Do you guys have any advice on how to fish two rods safely and avoid tangled lines ect? Any help would be appreciated, thankyou in advance!

ALLROUND TRYER

You will never eradicate it completely because carp are carp and dont always do what you want them to do:cautious:
Back leading helps if it is viable, you dont have to fish both rods within 6" of each other either., If i fish over a baited area i usually put one on the money and the other rod on the edge of the area a few feet apart.. it can often pick off a wary fish hanging back off the spot.
Single banksticks and not a pod gives you more scope for avoiding it also.
If it does happen dont panic, just make sure the rod you arent holding can give line, place it low to the water, and play the fish out as normal... then respool both reels:p nah you will be fine.

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
When l used to fish two rods l never bothered with a rod pod. I had the rods set either side of me and fished to the furtherst limit of my peg. But😕 l fished 'runs' waters mainly where it didn't really matter where you put your bait. If you are fishing harder waters you might want to put both baits closer together in which case l would use a back lead or slack line.

PJG

Back leads have already been mentioned and they do help. When playing the carp just lift the other rod off the rod rests and lower it in the water so that the butt rests on the bite alarm, don't lower the reel in the water. When the carp is in the net just put the other rod back in the rests.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
^^ back leads, back leads, back leads ^^

Absolutely essential for tight swims on commercial carp runs waters in my experience. I tried most brands but found the cheap generic ones the best. Normally pick them up in a little tub next to the tackle shop counter 3 for £1 or so...
26d7dcab6ab6e079.jpg

Last edited:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Remember most times if you pull left they go right and vise versa. So try to strike towards the other rod and hopefully it will swim away from the other rod. I quite often use 2 float rods side by side and this helps a lot.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If you are fishing long, use a backlead if you are fishing short fish slack lines, that said I often fish tight anyway so if I get a run on one rod I Drop the rod tip of the second ( or 3rd rod) into the water

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Trouble is back leads can impede bite indication. Heavier bobbin weight needed to counter this for drop backs.
Can also cause lost fish as back lead bangs around above lead during fight.
I will use if I have to in tight swim or to counter tow.
Been carping near on 40 years and can count tangles cause by a fish going through line on one hand.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
^^ back leads, back leads, back leads ^^

Absolutely essential for tight swims on commercial carp runs waters in my experience. I tried most brands but found the cheap generic ones the best. Normally pick them up in a little tub next to the tackle shop counter 3 for £1 or so...
26d7dcab6ab6e079.jpg

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Trouble is back leads can impede bite indication. Heavier bobbin weight needed to counter this for drop backs.
Can also cause lost fish as back lead bangs around above lead during fight.
I will use if I have to in tight swim or to counter tow.
Been carping near on 40 years and can count tangles cause by a fish going through line on one hand.
I had back leads that came off when you struck into the fish. They were attached to the bank stick with a length of hi-viz string and clipped on via a spring clip.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If the peg allows it two landing nets one either side of the rods.
When you get a run take the rod away from the other.

Have the baits out in different areas which will reduce the chances of a cross over and let you cover more water.

When the fish is closer in try to get it up in the water so it's above the other line.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
And if you get two runs at the same time?
Only happened to me once, and I picked up one rod with my right hand, the other with my left hand.
The two fish ran towards each other, and the anglers on the far bank peed themselves laughing, watching my gymnastics.
I did get both fish in, after opening the bailarm on one reel and taking pressure off that fish. It just stayed where it was until I had time to attend to it. :)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
In that instance you would have benefited from a baitrunner as the fish not being played would still take line but doing so under tension.

Sportsman

Here in France it is not uncommon to fish 3 or 4 rods, I used to do it regularly when I did that style of fishing. I can only remember getting two fish on at the same time on one occasion. just left the second rod on the rest with the bail open until I had attended to the first fish. As for tangles, I did have a fish on once that wiped out my other 3 rods and all 4 of my mates, but that was 100lb+ catfish hooked when carp fishing, otherwise not a problem.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've never had a double take. That's despite fishing as many as four rods at once at times. I only ever fish more than one rod when the chances of it happening are very minimal. It's all about giving a little thought to the venue you are fishing and choosing the number of rods you use accordingly. If that means using only one rod, or taking your extras out as the situation changes, so be it.

Without the further complication of a double take, the use of back leads can significantly reduce the chances of a single hooked fish wiping out other rods in the water.