Fisherys and a duty of care ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
About 4 years ago, I had booked on a winter league match at a local (kent) fishery

and during the match, the rotten wood of the platform collapsed whilst I was sitting on it, causing my box legs to go through and for me to tip off it,

luckily I was unharmed, but during the fall, I fell through my topkits and broke 3 of them in half and the no 4 I was holding in my hand at the time, plus loosing all my bait and the bits and bobs that were on my side tray

I contacted the fishery owners in regard to this and recieved a cheque for a £100 to cover the damage (it didnt)

after this episode, the fishery inspected the platforms on the lake and the majority were found to be in such a poor state of repair, the lake was closed and they were removed by a tractor as soon as they could

yesterday yet another angler I know, suffered very much the same thing on another well known local fishery, the platform breaking as he stood on it and it sending him flying over

Ive noticed on quite a few commercials when I fished them, that this isnt the exception to the rule, rather more common than you would think, that lots of platform pegs are in really poor states of construction and maintenance

This Im sure is not what we pay our hard earned for, as anglers paying entrance and peg fees we should in all respects have a safe environment to persue our sport from

if constructed pegs are supplied, no matter what the materials are, they should be inspected regulaly by the fishery staff and maintained in a safe state, if they are not safe, surely that peg should be closed and not in use until either repairs or replacement are completed

while it may raise a laugh and catcalls as to fat b'stards etc from other anglers at the time, its really not a laughing matter and may one day, lead to a far more serious incident

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I hate platform pegs full stop. They are just magnets for carp to charge under when you hook them and half the time they feel like they are going to distintergrate underneath you and can be very slippery. Nothing wrong with just sitting on the bank like nature intended so I dont know why some fisheries bother with them. They've got a place on some very steep river banks but apart from that they seem pointless to me as its just easier and nicer to sit on the bank like you do on the vast majority of waters.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Could not agree more, i prefer a peg on the bank with hard standing the majority don't use bankstick so that's not an issue, save the mess and mud and pallets like ice rinks oh not to mention rotten boards and supports. But the river is different all together 100% you know its un kept so you are more likly to tread careful like.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@mickthechippy

I couldn't agree more with you. I inspect our clubs lakes pegs every couple of months or so and close any pegs I feel need repair. Having said that, the poles holding the actual platforms are now scaffolding poles not wood, as are most of the platforms. Yes, the platforms do rust through hence the reason for checking them. Personally, I think £100 is a bit mean and as a fishery, should know the price of top kits these days.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Quite lucky on the river here as the popular stretches are heavily fished and get sorted on work parties each year so the swims are often in better condition than some stillwaters. The less popular stretches can be awful though.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I had this conversation earlier this year on one of our club lakes. The platform was obviously not safe to fish from. Guess what I was told .... Fish from somewhere else then. About right coming from the idiot bailiffs we have.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
yesterdays event was the 3rd one I've heard off in the last 6 months.......as Mick says a serious accident is waiting to happen.
Its not nice when it spoils a days fishing but if it affects livelihoods, especially in these strained Covid times, then that's a whole different ball game and i'm not sure some of the commerical fisheries are that engaged....

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I doubt its that birdseye as i doubt many are that forward thinking. Its probably done for perceived comfort despite them usually providing the opposite. If they dont want to use the natural bank for whatever reason gravel pegs are much better to fish from, safer, cheaper and easier to maintain than platforms.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Legally if a fishery (or any other business, club or individual) provides access and/or facilities for any other person to use, with or without permission, paid or otherwise, they have to be in a maintained standard and fit for purpose, and that includes the banks.

If the fishery is ticketed then they also need to have a minimum of Public Liability Insurance, I think the only exception to this is syndicate owned waters where it is a collective not ticketed and the public have no right of access.

If you want I'll make a request for the correct wording of such but it's basically as above

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I hate platform pegs full stop. They are just magnets for carp to charge under when you hook them and half the time they feel like they are going to distintergrate underneath you and can be very slippery. Nothing wrong with just sitting on the bank like nature intended so I dont know why some fisheries bother with them. They've got a place on some very steep river banks but apart from that they seem pointless to me as its just easier and nicer to sit on the bank like you do on the vast majority of waters.
I much prefer level platform pegs, much easier to fish from, what about in wet weather squabbling about in all the mud and slipping everywhere , that’s a recipe for disaster, keeps your gear cleaner as well

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would have thought that platforms prevent bank erosion, why would a fishery owner spend good money on platforms otherwise ?

Orchard place farm fishery (again in Kent)

have no platforms, you fish off a mud bank, and some of those are now as much as 5 to 6 foot back from the original bankline due to use of keepnets and suchlike, some pegs require a platform they are that far back

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't trust some of the platforms on the Severn especially when deep down the edge. Favourite are platforms that are actually on the bank not jettied out.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Some fisheries use retaining boards and steaks then backside hard core, platforms are being made of scaff poles and metal frame with concrete slabs, or checker plate, but in rain like today my sofa is the best option.

davej1981

I certainly dont think theres any excuse right now with fisheries having been closed it would’ve have been the ideal time to inspect platforms and carry out necessary maintenance on them or at least close the swim should it seem dangerous. Even now would it really take long to carryout inspections once a week. Regardless like any other business they will have a responsibility for everyone safery. Likewise as the people using the facilities we need to make sure we report anything to the owners if we feel something is not up to scratch

Total

Site Supporter
Orchard place farm fishery (again in Kent)

have no platforms, you fish off a mud bank, and some of those are now as much as 5 to 6 foot back from the original bankline due to use of keepnets and suchlike, some pegs require a platform they are that far back

This place is a 'mare' at the moment for the very things mentioned above and plenty more...:(.....They are in self destruct mode. Many disgruntled customers with the owners reneging on previous arrangements (bookings) etc etc etc

Total

Site Supporter
As Dave said above, Public liability insurance is a minimum as is with clubs....Have had one occurrence this season already where a club member was injured due to a poorly maintained platform. Thankfully no major injuries, and to be fair the venue owners acted accordingly.....