Fishery Platforms

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My club has fitted the platforms with artificial grass from an old tennis court...............luxury.

I worry that when nature calls (and that is quite often) with a load of spectators watching me) what will I do....... (tongue in cheek)
I have seen that done at two fisheries. In time it gets slimy and dangerous with groundbait and other baits matting the "grass" together.

Griffo

Site Supporter
I yearn for those days on rocky banks in Ireland, when you tried to get your Shakespeare box level. There weren't even Octoplus legs then & you had to pack stones under your box.
That’s what the Benrose platform barrows were good for, humping huge amounts of gear along the Shannon then sticking the Shakey box on to the converted Benrose platform, they were the days, thank god I don’t carry the weight of that lot any more👍🏼

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’d much rather tiptoe around my box on a narrow platform than try and fish a lot of the river swims I’ve seen.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d much rather tiptoe around my box on a narrow platform than try and fish a lot of the river swims I’ve seen.
With the exception of the wye and severn a narrow platform is far more dodgy than most river swims I’ve ever fished. Even on the wye and severn the swims themselves have been fine, it’s just getting down to them that has been a bit interesting 😅😬

Simon R

Site Supporter
I think we have got them about right at Wellingborough. 1.5 metres wide, not too far out over the water and the disabled platforms 3m wide. Made of recycled rot proof plastic so should last for decades. All credit to the lads on the working party that made them up and fitted them.
The Fisheries Boards in Ireland have been erecting the recycled plastic pegs all over the country.
They are rock-solid, look surprisingly natural and as you say should last for ever.
It's a shame they've positioned a load of them where anglers don't actually fish but you can't have everything :p

Accessing some of the old timber pegs over there you often had to literally walk the plank - one scaffy board or some other bit of semi-rotten timber spanning the gap between the platform and the timber boardwalk behind.

These are just a some of the ones that we built / rebuilt at our club lake in years gone bye
peg 19 before.jpg peg 19 after2.jpg

Work Party 5th April 2009 peg 2 crop.jpg Work Party 5th April 2009 007.jpg

Peg 3.jpg

The 'diving board' on the first picture was a peg that was generally only used by carp anglers, so only needed to be wide enough to accomodate a rod-pod

Simon

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If a platform collapsed, under an angler, on a commercial, would the commercial be liable. If a fishery provides platforms for the use of its customers, surely they would come under H&S?

Simon R

Site Supporter
I think it would only be a liability issue if a problem had been reported to the fishery and they failed to act - eg not replaced a cracked board or a damaged upright.
That was the advice we were given regarding the platforms on our club lake by the insurance company anyway.

Simon

mbuna_matt

Years ago I joined a club that had just taken over an old clay / brick pit. Did a lot of work with new platforms etc.

The next year the water level returned to its "proper" level leaving most platforms permanently under about an inch of water.