Has anyone been on a 2 day course run by the
IFM and EA .
If so, how did you find it ,
Is it useful and pratical ?
Due too attend one soon and looks intresting

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's very interesting, but take a notepad and pen. Yes it's only 2 days but covers a lot of stuff and some of it can be a bit intense. 2 days isn't enough really and if it's something you're interested in doing I suggest a proper course on fishery management not just a 'taster'. There should be courses in your area.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'd also look at supplementary courses that involve piscine physiology... possibly first aid, risk assessment and DBS checks... its not summat you can learn in 2 days

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I'd also look at supplementary courses that involve piscine physiology... possibly first aid, risk assessment and DBS checks... its not summat you can learn in 2 days

Couldn't agree more with you. The 2 days IS only a taster.

IFM Fish

If you are interested in learning a bit more about fish and fisheries management after the weekend then the IFM offers a course that may be of interest. The Certificate in Fisheries Management is a one year correspondence course that you can study in your own time and at your own pace. There are seven units to choose from and it is assessed by open book exams that you can take at home. All of the details can be found on the IFM website IFM Certificate Course - IFM
If you would like more info have a look on the website or email me on paul.coulson@ifm.org.uk

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If this is a one year correspondence course, how do you deal with the practical side (the 'hands on' stuff?

squimp

Site Supporter
I went on the 2 day fishery management course recently. It was worth doing and did cover a lot of ground.

our local Fisheries Officer was there - so it was a good opportunity to talk to him.

surprisingly there was no ability to feedback afterwards, on what the course covered and how it was run. IMO it could be made better and more relevant very easily.

perhaps the most interesting (or maybe worrying) thing I learned from the weekend is how terrible some the other fisheries were !

ukzero1

Site Supporter
perhaps the most interesting (or maybe worrying) thing I learned from the weekend is how terrible some the other fisheries were !

It wasn't just me then that was a bit worried about it.