Fish you’d like to catch

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Following on from the best fish you’ve caught thread it got me thinking about what fish we’d all like to catch. Mine would be as follows.

A big river roach which for me would be anything over a pound and a half. I’ve had a 2 pounder from a lake and plenty of a pound plus from them but my best from a river is about a pound and half if I recall and that was one of only a couple ever over a pound.

A 3 pound plus perch. Caught loads of 2.5-2.75 pound but not one that I’ve been sure has been over 3lb. The actual number is not really important just big enough to constitute an actual big perch.

A specimen Dace. Had them up to 10z or so but would love to get a proper netter sized one near the pound mark.

Would also like to catch a proper British Shark. Have had loads of smoothounds and dogfish but only a couple small tope so would love a big one or blue or porbeagle.

How about you guys?

BTMS

Site Supporter
Had big carp reasonable roach 2lb bream 9lb but my nemesis is a 2lb Crucian carp:( would really love one tried, tried and cried

Zerkalo

First river barbel is the obvious one for me. And living near the Severn now opens up a lot of fishing to me. It wasn't until I started fishing the River Stour that I caught a lot of Chub from a river, but definitely Barbel. When I start fishing the Severn I can hope for some decent Roach or Perch too. Even bigger Chub where my PB is about 4lb.

Another thing I want is to find a stretch of canal that will still have Gudgeon in. I know the Staffs & Worcs used to have loads around Swindon/Womborne.

Big Roach have always been on my wishlist. So I when I read on fishery descriptions like Furnace Mill and it says Roach to 2lb+ I would be sceptical were it not for the 40lb of Bream I had out of there in the space of an hour.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A double figure Tench and a Bream above 10lb.

Dusty

Had big carp reasonable roach 2lb bream 9lb but my nemesis is a 2lb Crucian carp:( would really love one tried, tried and cried

I’ve had about 8 at 2lb+.. had them all in one session too. My Mrs even had one. ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I had all of my 2lb Crucian in one session as well, was only 2 of them though lol

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
So I when I read on fishery descriptions like Furnace Mill and it says Roach to 2lb+ I would be sceptical were it not for the 40lb of Bream I had out of there in the space of an hour.

There are a lot of decent roach at Furness Mill. I’m sure they probably go to over 2lb.

Zerkalo

There are a lot of decent roach at Furness Mill. I’m sure they probably go to over 2lb.

Reckon I'm going to head there again this week as a bit rainy for the rivers. Only been 3 times so far an Furnace Pool is my fav as that's where I had the Bream. The one round the back was deep (a good 8 foot) and had a lot of little tench as well as the carp. The one behind Willow I just caught Carp all day. Though it's a cracking fishery from what I've seen so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the species descriptions on their website are accurate.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
One more to add actually I’d like a big Rudd. My best was barely over a pound if I recall and was well over 10 years ago. The big ones you see out of the drains etc look stunning.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
A double figure Bream and Tench ( seems a popular one) , also a 30lb common carp, a nice fit lean one, not a pot bellied pond pig.

feldri

Site Supporter
Would love to get a big Tench and also a big Rudd. I personally think they're the prettiest fish in our waters. Also a 2lb+ Roach would be nice.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
2lb river Roach
3lb Perch
30lb Carp
5lb Chub

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
A 2lb Grayling. The most beautiful fish of all.

Just a pity they always come out blackish on photos. What happens to those fabulous, silvery iridescent blues and purples?
Like roach, in a way. You can never capture their breathtaking colours.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
There are many I'd like to, but before piking season starts, I would like over the next couple of months like to achieve 3 of the following PBs (it's not as silly as it seems as I've just had a lot of new water open to me in which these are very, very doable... (plus conceivably roach and perch too. Oh, and eel)). I'll be happy if I manage 1 of them in honesty, but I think barbel, tench and bream are very achievable... In reality, my first barbel out the Trent this year will be a good start!
1) Barbel (9.10 currently)
2) Tench (5.1)
3) Carp (19.8)
4) Chub (4.10)
5) Bream (6.5)