Fish Treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

I am wading through a pile of emails and have received an enquiry relating to the treatment of cut and grazes on fish.
The sender has asked what he should or can do with a fish if it has a graze or cut around it's mouth as his local fishery is heavily fished and there are numerous fish, mainly carp and skimmers, coming out like this. Is anything that can be recommended?

Cheers, Dave

MALC

Personally i've used a product called Klinic (i think thats the name but the labels come off) you can get it from most Carp sections in tackle shops.
Also a few months ago one of the weeklies done a piece on medication for cut's and abrasions on fish and mentioned a product which could be bought from a chemist for a lot less and was just as good but i cant remember what it was called.
I'll have a search through the pile of papers and see if i can find it and post the name of the product.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Do any of these things actually help the fish?

I could understand if you were able to treat the water and keep the fish in it for a while.

But I have no idea if putting some sort of antiseptic goo on a fish and then releasing it back into the water where the goo will quickly wash off is going to help.

Anyone know for sure?

Newt Vail

Stewart Bloor

There is a current thread on FISHINGmagic which may prove useful. It's full of technical stuff, if you're into that sort of thing :)It's in the Carp forum, under 'Eggheads do they know their stuff'.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=1&UTN=4070&SP=&V=1&cp=1

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Stewart,

I read the thread with interest as I used to use Malachite Green many years ago in the fish farming industry and in suprisingly large quantities

Kryston Klinik seems to be the 'favourite' but without some controversy icon_smile.gif.
I managed to find This Review of the product and will refer this thread onto the emailer.

Thanks all, Dave

Edited by - Dave on 04 June 2002 11:49:41 PM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yup Klinik for me to but not just on cyprinidaes.

I use it on any of the fish that need it.

Alan
You've just been moderated

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Stewart - thank you for pointing me to a truly wonderful thread. Most fun I've had in a while on the net (other than reading some of Trev's reports).

And I do have to admire Roto Flyer for sticking to his guns in the face of adversity.

Dave - from the review link you posted I found "... Kryston Klin-nik. This consists of a 100% antiseptic liquid ...". I will be darned if I can get any real meaning out of that. 100% antiseptic liquid???

From all this reading I can only conclude

1. Klin-nik was probably never really tested other than to make sure it didn't cause instant death of the fish. Certainly there seems to be no evidence that it is effective if dabbed onto a fresh wound on a fish. And no evidence that it is not effective.

2. Klin-nik uses as it's active ingredient a substance that is known to be effective in treating certain fish injuries/diseases if the fish is immersed in a solution of it for an extended period of time.

3. Klin-nik uses as it's active ingredient a substance that is known to cause cancer in humans if used in too high concentrations and to probably cause fetal damage if a pregnant woman in her 1st trimester handles it (in some concentration - no one has said exactly how much).

4. Several reputable experts (including a veterinary professor) warn of Malachite Green (Klin-nik's active ingredient) possibly causing burns if in contact with gill tissue. No such warning about contact with other parts of the body.

5. Enough UK anglers use Klin-nik that if it were deadly dangerous to fish, there would be reported fish damage/death the could be linked to it's use.

I started this thread neutral with maybe a slight bias toward using the stuff since "well, it can't hurt". I am now of the opinion that it may be OK for the fish but there is no way I want to mess with it. Hmmmm.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Newt,

The use of Malachite Green came under scrutiny back in the 1980's as a possible carcinogenic. It was widely available in either powder or concentrate form for general medicinal use on fish farms and consequently was used in large quantites and often diluted incorrectly. The resultant liquid was then added to tanks, holding ponds, etc and was eventually discharged back into the water courses along with the f.farm effluent with scant regard to it's nature ie longetivity.
The use of protective equipment was a rarity with many workers finding it amusing that their hands became green after use; coincidently one of the popular TV programs at the time was 'The Incredible Hulk' icon_smile.gif
The US also used it in large quantities and it became the subject of intense scrutiny because of the possible inference within the food chain and health & safety matters in general. Consequently guidelines were drafted and distributed to all within the industry regarding it's use.
All products available for public purchase have since been diluted to an acceptable and agreed 'safe' level with the usual guidelines for use. I cannot comment about the f.farm industry though as I have been outside it now for several years but I would assume also that MG is no longer available in concentrated forms especially bearing in mind the tight standards that have to be met with regards to discharges.

I'm not sure what a 100% antiseptic liquid is either unless a 70% is a short measure, icon_smile_wink.gif

Off to bed now as the reins have been handed over to the 'Night Stalker' lol,

Dave

Beebs

I caught a number of crucians on monday with parasites and leeches. What is the general consensus on removing these? Is it more traumatic for the fish to be kept out of the water while you prise these creatures off? Or will pulling them off lead to open wounds which may lead to infection? The parasites weren't big, but there were quite a number of them. Is it best to just leave well alone to nature? Also a few seemed to have deformed mouths and gill covers, any ideas? I like to think it wasn't done through angler's neglect.

DJ.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Beebs,

Personally I would leave the parasites alone. The reason behind this is parasites once they have been removed or have left their hosts leave a small wound which can in most cases heal naturally. The wound that is left can also become infected by a bacterial spore called saprolegnia which builds into a cotton-wool like effect. The likely hood of this secondary infection is greatly increased by removing the parasite (IMO).

Deformations can be down to numerous reasons including the environment of the pond, water quality, stock levels, over fishing and mother nature.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.