Fish spawning

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Fished this morning and gave up after 3 hours, had one run on the method after about an hour and a half and probably 30 casts to the same spot, pulled out of it though.

This same lake I had 8 fish last Saturday and pulled out of 4 others.

Lots of fish spawning today, mainly little tiddly roach in the edge but also some big splashes from carp.

Does spawning usually massively reduce catch rates like this? I know the water has had a lot of bait gone in over the last week with every peg rammed pretty much daily, so another option the fish could be full up?

I didn't start my coarse fishing until the warmer weather in June last year so missed the spawning so have no experience fishing through it.

Would I be better off going somewhere well stocked like Barston during spawning or just as likely to blank there too?

:)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's going to be happening all over. Some can still be caught, but they probably won't be the 'biggies'. It's all a question of persevering.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
One thing I have noticed more than once with spawning fish. They seem to stop around 1pm. After that they become catchable.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In a normal year I only fish my local Stillwater in the close season so can only comment on there. The perch spawn in late March early April and when they do so you'll catch very few of them. The roach spawn throughout April but have always stopped by May but you’ll catch them throughout but I think that’s purely because there are a lot more of them than the perch so there’s always some not spawning time catch. The carp spawning can really vary timing wise but whenever it is they become very hard to catch.

nick2b

In a normal year I only fish my local Stillwater in the close season so can only comment on there. The perch spawn in late March early April and when they do so you'll catch very few of them. The roach spawn throughout April but have always stopped by May but you’ll catch them throughout but I think that’s purely because there are a lot more of them than the perch so there’s always some not spawning time catch. The carp spawning can really vary timing wise but whenever it is they become very hard to catch.
As you say, the roach definitely won't be spawning now - long since done. The intensity of spawning is weather dependent. Last year's weather made spawning a nightmare up here in the northwest, with carp still trying to spawn in June. This year is following the same pattern, with both male and female fish very spawn and milk bound - not good as we will inevitably get deaths as a result.
Furthermore, we had some fish spawn yesterday evening and the carp up here have invarably spawned in mid/late afternoon.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You can almost set your watch by the roach on my local. It always starts sometime in the first week of April and has always finished by 1st of May without fail. From what I’ve seen on the Thames they seem to follow the same pattern in there as well.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Ya reckon i'd be better off going to a commercial seeing as they''re usually stuffed with fish? I figure they probably won't all be spawning at once.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
I would give the fishing a miss on that lake while they spawn just let them get on with it give them time and they will be hungry after there done

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The commercial I fished on Thursday had no signs of spawning but tbh that could have been because it was so packed with fish if half were spawning it would have still left loads to catch. It really was catching rather than fishing lol