Fish Playing Scenarios

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Scenario 1 -

You're Bream fishing. Casting just past a rocky ledge where the fish are holed up. Sometimes when reeling in the feeder will get caught on rocks. Do you...

a) Keep the rod low and to the side in the hope the fish rises up in the water naturally.
b) Stand up on your box and lift the rod in the air to pull the fish up over the rocks

Scenario 2 -

You're pole fishing next to a reed bed where big Carp are swimming about. When you hook a fish, all hell breaks loose. Do you...

a) Strike towards the reeds in the hope the fish bolts in the other direction.
b) Hit and hold. As soon as the fish is hooked you throw the pole backwards and hope your heavy elastic is enough to pull the fish out of the reeds.

😁

smiffy

Site Supporter
If you’re fishing at distance there’s no point standing on your box as the difference in angle will be minimal so I’d go for A. If I’m fishing short I’d probably do B. The old adage of playing Bream low to bring them up in the water is often true but not always.
No idea about scenario 2 but big Carp are often easier to handle than the little ones.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Scenario 1 tape up the holes on the feeder it'll help the feeder rise above the rocks on retrieve.

Scenario 2 either feed away from the lilly bed and pick the fish off as they come out or try a light elastic so the fish doesn't panic when you hook it, noting heavy elastic isn't always the solution particularly with big fish and it wouldn't be the first time I've opted for a bomb tight to a weedbed for hook and hold rather than risking a pole

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I had problem B, when I lived in lincs. Some huge fish right against a tangle of willow roots. It didn't matter which way you struck they were in the roots faster than @Dave grabbing a nugget off @Peter. I solved it by using a 2lb barbel rod with 8lb line, hit and held and they turned into clear water.

Problem A, is hypothetical; I would feed with a catapult and use a small bomb on a light link so it could breakaway if it got snagged.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some good tips here, I should have added option C. Was on the San Miguel last night. :unsure: Problem I foresee with Scenario B option 1 of striking towards the reeds, you have a little Roach on the end and it goes flying into the reeds. If I was designing a fishing video game these are the kinds of scenarios I'd want adding. You could do matches where you get to choose whether to net a 3oz Roach or swing it to hand for speed.

rudd

Site Supporter

a. For sea fishing we use lead lifts as per link.

You cound design a hybrid feeder that works using same principle?

b. fish a lead and specimen rod