Fish O Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

Any body heard the result of the Fish O Mania final today ??

Who won and what weight ??

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

steve wilson

try this link for the result malc http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1058802,00.html

the result should be there by now

Edited by - steve wilson on 03 August 2002 9:28:56 PM

MALC

Cheers Steve,

Found something your good at

Below are the results as pasted from Skynews

Congratulations to Nathan Watson who is Fishomania Champion 2002. He's walked away with the winner- takes-all prize of 25,000 after an exciting final at Hayfield Lakes on Saturday.

Position Name Peg Weight
1 Nathan Watson 14 39 kilos 600
2 Roger Marlow 16 30 k 020
3 John Howard 15 27 k 680
4 Phil Ringer 9 17 k 210
5 Stuart Wilson 4 17 k 190
6 Steve Jackson 5 16 k 590
7 Peter Cocking 1 14 k 590
8 Terry Bintlisf 12 14 k 510
9 Lee Addy 13 13 k 560
10 Jez O'Neill 8 11k 730
11 Geoff Goodchild 7 8 k 330
12 Nick Roberts 11 4 k 170
13 MikeWithey 3 3 k 580
14 Nigel Smith 2 3 k 260
15 Ron Mangham 10 1 k 800
16 Chris Kitchin 6 1 k 210

Malc

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Congratulations Nathan,
The youngest competitor on the day,and a new record weight.
Also a handy 2,500 to Phil Ringer for landing the largest fish.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Larry

Lazarus
i watched the whole match on sky he fished brilliantly in the lead from the start fished a 16 metre's floating pole firing pellets all the time.

Cheer's Larry

kev coke

How do you brilliantly fish the floating pole it fishes itself and a 10 year old kid could fish the floating pole (and that is not disrespectful to kids)fishing is in a bad way in my opinion when a premier event like fishamania is won on the floating pole it astounds me that they even allowed it in the first place

MALC

Kev,

Must admit i agree with you regarding the use of "THE FLOATING POLE"

It's 1 of the only things personaly that i think should be banned.

Malc

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
I agree the the floating pole as a method of catching fish that removes a lot of the skill factor, and something i dont use.
But Malc why ban it and not any other bolt rig, method feeder etc. dont take it the wrong way just your thoughts on it .

teepee.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Floating pole and Method feeders,
Both these methods have won Fishomania Finals.
Interestingly the Method feeder is banned at Hayfield and only allowed for the Fishomania match (i'm not sure about floating pole)

The cynical amongst us might feel that these methods are only allowed during Fishomania to maximise the amount of fish that are caught for the cameras,but i couldn't possibly comment.

Peter.

MALC

Teepee icon_smile_wink.gif

Personaly i hate any bans in angling but there are 3 tactics that i would willingly see banned from the banks.

(1) All elasticated feeder's/fixed bolt rigs
(2) Floating pole
(3) Bite alarms (why when i'm 20 pegs away must i hear them)

And before any of the 4 Lime Tree members that beat me on Sunday with the floating pole say it's just sour grapes icon_smile_big.gif thats not the case.

Over the past couple of years since people have started to use the floating pole i've stopped fishing those venue's in opens that allow it as to me it is a style that is just not what fishing is about and i don't want to sit on a pool with anglers just IMO laying x amount of carbon on the water and waiting to skull drag a fish in.

I never have and never will try it.

I would never try to stop others doing it although i will admitt that it realy annoy's me when i see others use it and then they try to say what good anglers they are and how well they have fished.

When the Method first appeared about 12 years ago i gave them a try and did not like the idea of the elastic and went straight back to the standard frame feeder (and still use them today).

I know that some may say that i only want it banned because i cant fish the style but be honest as Kev has already said i could take my 6 year old out and she could fish 20 mtrs floating pole if she wanted to and catch a net full of carp but in my book it would not make her an angler.

Think this one could end up as a seperate thread Teepee icon_smile_wink.gif

Malc

Edited by - MALC on 05 August 2002 11:04:59 PM

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Peter i think you're right its probably just for the cameras to make the results look better, Hayfield has got a ban on the method/feeder but not the floating pole and it wins freequently this time of year,

Malc, could not agree more mate, i was just wondering why you'd said ban floating pole which in my mind is just another variation of a bolt/type rig, and no reference to the bolt rigs, a lot of venues around here now have a ban on method/feeder and floating/pole, or sometimes worded that poles must be fished with float/rigs,
as for alarms dodgy subject that one Malc, i no it can be a blemish on the peace and quiet of a days fishing, but we need a bit of live and let live, what about the guy who just fishes the wagler but has to listen to your squeeky pole roller all day(LOL),

Cheers.

teepee.

MALC

Teepee wish i caught enough fish to use the roller icon_smile_wink.gif (know what you mean though).

Malc

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've nothing against bite alarms if only people would learn to use the volume control on them.

Peter.

breambasher

quote:
How do you brilliantly fish the floating pole it fishes itself and a 10 year old kid could fish the floating pole (and that is not disrespectful to kids)fishing is in a bad way in my opinion when a premier event like fishamania is won on the floating pole it astounds me that they even allowed it in the first place

I totally disagree there are many thigs to consider when fishing the the floating pole.put someone who knows how to do it up against someone who is doing ti for the first time and you see the result.

im mad for it

breambasher

and another thing (im getting on my soap box now)why should anything be banned fishing is about catching fish isnt it.as for making things look good for the cameras i have been told that fish where being ferried from lucys and big adams and put into little adams to increase the stocks.and that the lake was filled in with a certain brand of gbait that passes straight through the fish so they are still hungry.not taking anything away from the winner because the fish at hayfield fight like stink and to get them in that quick takes some skill.back to the method/floating pole subject if you are fishing five hours in a match you use the method that catches most fish and to be honest the fish have been shying away from the the floating pole over recent weeks the shaddow has been spooking them and the waggler has been doing better.

im mad for it

animal

did u see the leeds boys skiny diping after match well done boys but weel done to my friend stu wilson who fished brill

MALC

quote:why should anything be banned fishing is about catching fish isnt it.

But surley not to the detrement of the sport or the fish.

IMO, the floating pole is not doing any good for the sport or any good for the anglers that use it.
What do people that fish the floating pole learn by doing so !!

IMO, elasticated method feeders are dangerous fixed rigs and also do more harm than good.

At the end of the day though it's all down to personal choice if you want to fish either style as long as it's allowed on the venue.

Malc

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi all,

Unfortunately I didn't see any of the Fish-O-Mania due to work overload lol but wish to comment on the floating pole.

I have seen it used with brilliant effect in matches but have also seen the complete opposite when fish shy away from the pole. If I'm correct the best result are had when the fish are fed steadily throughout a match so that they become confident at feeding.
The thing that sets the floating pole apart from a 'normal' set-up with a rig etc is that there is no float just a 12inch (or less) hooklength tied to the elastic. Therefore as the fish take they hook themselves.

On a local lake this method was eventually the only way to win but the exception was that the anglers were using 3metre lengths of PVC plumbers pipe to extend their poles to 25m plus. The elastic in most cases was no20 doubled up and the hooklength 10lb BS plus. Hardly fishing though in my opinion.

Each to their own I say, but they'll always be critics icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

MALC

Ever the Diplomate Dave

Malc

splodger

At Hayfield the maximum length of floating pole in open matches is 16 metres.This was introduced due to anglers trying to outscore each other by having the longest pole (or two poles!).
I believe any club fishing hayfield have been asked to comply with this rule as well.
What astounds me is that everytime someone comes up with a new method that catches a lot of fish,everyone wants it banned.
Robin Goforth (who owns Hayfield)once banned Rob Hitchens from using his special paste because he won 20 plus open matches on the trot until he realised what a potent bait it was and went into partnership with Rob and now the bait is available all over the country.
The floating pole does not work at every venue and i cannot see what harm it is doing if used correctly.
I also think that Mr.Goforth got it right this year by holding the match on adams lake.Doing this avoided the hypocrisy of allowing the use of the method feeder for the match and banning it for the rest of the year.
Also,having won matches at hayfield on the floating pole,let me tell you that it is bloody hard work constantly feeding for five hours!
If you dont agree with fishing the floating pole and you fish a match at hayfield,chances are you will not figure in the frame(which is what match fishing is all about)so stop knocking it and go with the flow!
Finally i have also heard that adams was stocked from other lakes for fish o' mania so my advice would be if you are going to hayfield in the near future fish adams on the floating pole and enjoy a great days fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.