Fish O final

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's a difference between posting an opinion and slandering a guy. Comments made online which wouldn't be said to the person's face.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
One thing to remember about the coverage is that they probably didn't finalise how to do it, due to the pandemic, and having to social distance until quite late. It wasn't perfect. It would have been better if they did more live chats with the anglers and bank runners, rather than having us watching pre-recorded chats between Jamie Hughes and Andy May. If I wanted to watch that, I would watch Winning Ways.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Some of you perhaps haven't thought through why these TV venues are chosen. I used to look for venues for the Winter league final, and it's extraordinarily difficult. It's even more difficult for the Fish O'.

You need to have a TV camera or cameras to be set up opposite, so that every competitor can be covered.
You also need access for cameras near to the anglers for the interviews and close-ups of weighing etc.
You need easy access for the various vehicles, and parking for lots of cars..
You need somewhere for the spectators to view.
You need toilets for the spectators and crews, and to be able to arrange catering. Preferably, also, access to main electricity.
You also need, on site, hospitality services for the sponsors and the competitors, at least some of whom have to be accommodated nearby overnight. And you need space to erect marquees etc.

You also need a water that is going to provide fish. Just one real blow-out and the bad publicity could affect the next year's sponsorship.
You also have to decide whether a load of small fish, which can be swung to hand in seconds, is sufficiently exciting television for the general public. I remember a previous one on Cudmore (I think), when most of the fish were small and, frankly, I found it boring. When an angler takes several minutes to play and land a fish even a non-angler gets some idea of the tense atmosphere at the match, which is what the organisers are looking for.

Commercials provide easy access on cut grass all round, while some natural venues would not be ideal for men holding heavy cameras to negotiate. And on the whole commercials dominated by carp are a better bet that rivers, which could be in flood on the day.

If you're going to have publicity you simply have to minimise the downsides.

PS. I gave in to pressure, many years ago, and organised the Angling Times Winter League final on the River Soar, where almost every angler, so the locals - and some top matchmen - said, had a chance of catching fish, especially gudgeon. A good team venue.
On the Thursday night there was a terrific drop in temperature and I spent the whole of Friday, with locals, breaking the ice in as many swims as we could.
Almost inevitably the match was a farce and Angling Times' name was mud.
In fact after I received a abuse on the bank (which didn't bother me) the editor at the time said he would cancel all further Winter Leagues, because as the sponsor he felt it reflected badly on the magazine. We managed to change his mind, but in future all matches on a river had to have a possible nearby canal venue as a fallback.
Believe me, there is more to it than meets the eye.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sky had several outside broadcast wagons and generators onsite plus a massive lorry mounted boom lift with cameras in over the lake, cables under the lake to the island, not to mention the many cables from the wagons to the broadcast units - the infrastructure alone must have cost a small fortune and taken an age to put in place - all for the one event.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Not surprised, Dave.

I've never gone to a Fish O' final, but I have fished at Hayfield, in fact in a Masters Invitation I actually fished on what was Peg 5 yesterday, opposite the point of the island.

Total

Site Supporter
.......I've never gone to a Fish O' final, but I have fished at Hayfield, in fact in a Masters Invitation I actually fished on what was Peg 5 yesterday, opposite the point of the island.
And I bet you still foul hooked and lost fish as similar to Decoy at times Mac!;):p:ROFLMAO:.....Hope you're well mate....:)(y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
What’s a tad concerning to me is the amount of anglers that are talking fisho down this year. Some on the bank when I ask and some on the forum here. Should we not be bullying it up not talking it down. Yes, it wasn’t perfect but, was it ever going to be this year with how things are ? Let’s try to be more positive this is a sport we all love isn’t it ?

As for Andy Kinder. Think to yourself …. How would you perform live on TV if a camera was stuck in your face and a microphone boom stuck under your chin. The reality is that most of us would clam up and stand there looking rather stupid. To say it was Andy’s first time I thought he made a decent job of it. Well done Andy. 👍

Total

Site Supporter
As for Andy Kinder. Think to yourself …. How would you perform live on TV if a camera was stuck in your face and a microphone boom stuck under your chin. The reality is that most of us would clam up and stand there looking rather stupid. To say it was Andy’s first time I thought he made a decent job of it. Well done Andy. 👍
^^ Well said.... (y) 👏......P.S.....I don't require a boom mic' stuck under my chin to look stupid!🤪😘

CNSam

Site Supporter
Interesting point for Aaron at Lindholme...Anyone noticehe'd sponsored the Weight-In bags?

219139414_184966996990834_1918276517666431172_n.jpg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hayfield bought the weigh bags from Lindholme, hence the reason why they had the Lindhome branding on them. You can buy them in the Lindholme shop (I've got one) and they are perfect for weigh-ins.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Aaron knows what he is talking about. Accommodating an event like this is a huge investment, financially. Then once you have the infrastructure you have to maintain it. If you don't then get to hold the event for several years it's not worth the effort.

In fact purely as an investment, for the publicity, no-one in his right mind is going to do it. Anyone who does so is doing it because they love the idea of attracting people to an exciting event. We should be grateful that people like Robin are willing to put their money, time and effort into it.

All-The-Gear-No-Idea

You forgot to mention the in-ear monitors through which you can hear the director and production assistant (at the very least, more if people forget to close their mic's) talking constantly, so you have to simultaneously talk about one thing, whilst a constant stream of unconncted BS is falling into your left ear, but occasionally some of the information will be for you, including things like "wrap it up in 4 seconds", etc... It takes some skill.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
I echo @tipitinmick post, why would anyone be moaning about Fisho. Any match fishing on the tv needs bigging up not knocking down. All the angling shows seem to focus on specimen carp angling, there’s precious little for us match/pleasure anglers so it was a proper treat to have something for us for a change. Yes, the presenting often left a lot to be desired, why was that Aussie girl used, she was so annoying. Teef Arthur should have been put out to grass years ago but I thought Callum Dicks did a good job. Regarding Andy Kinder, one of the other presenters said he was “like Chris Kamara”. Kamara has made a career out of acting the buffoon so Mr Kinder should have a bright future 😘

AlfieBass

Well done the winner. Got to say I became bored with the whole thing after an hour. Endless chat about basics and ‘how things use to be‘ with Keith Arthur instead of actually watching the action soon gets tedious. They need to freshen things up and decide once and for all what exactly they want to show the viewing public because this stop start way things are currently being done away from the action simply doesn’t keep interests alive.

Spadger123

The perfect venue does not exist, fish will always migrate to quieter areas of the lake or follow wind etc.
What should of been done IMO was to peg the whole lake, even if that meant peg one miss a load.
The fish then have less area to back off into and I'm sure they would have settled better as parts of the lake where under too much pressure.

Fireblade929

Site Supporter
I watched and quite enjoyed it, I'm left with a few questions though....

Are the Anglers all "professional" or very talented amateurs, if professional do they fish for a club in a league ?, I saw loads of sponsorship logo's being worn so I assume they're all paid to wear them but didn't see anything with a club affiliation.

Why during the numerous weigh ins are the fish just tipped out carelessly on top of each other from the keepnet to the weigh in bag ?, at least one of Harry's Carp was well into double figures and would've flattened anything smaller mixed in the bag, we all know to take maximum care of the fish we catch, but watching the programme it seemed to me speed won over fish care.

If Harry was on the end peg, how come he had a people fishing in pegs either side of him ?, numerous times the TV cameras showed an empty peg immediately to his left, but the next one was being used and the Angler didn't get a mention.

What happens if someone hooks a big fish that travels uncontrollably into other swims / pegs ?, or do they pick venues knowing roughly the maximum fish size ?