Fish O final

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm not sure if it was with the change of sponsor, ie less funding perhaps, or last minute arrangements to run the final, but I do agree compared to previous years it did seem to be dumbed down a bit.

AlfieBass

Going to be slightly contentious here but FishOMania is meant to be the ultimate final for match anglers...as Harry himself said today, anyone in that Peg would probably have won today, it was back to basics stuff by the sound of it. Given this statement and the way pegging is setup, it genuinely does and has come down to the luck of the draw, the rest of the guys would have had better odds of winning 50k down the local bookies, no? I know it's been said before but anyone you speak to that has sat in a match or qualifier at Hayfield always says the same, the fish want their space and then they feed late on...why weren't more pegs utilised around the ponds for this very purpose so it didn't just fall down to a lucky peg draw completely?

Agree about spreading the anglers out a bit more but I thought the pegs around the island were fancied? Harry’s peg was further up the lake Wasn’t it?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Televising the riverfest final would be more interesting with all the totally different pegs, tactics and fish involved. I can watch a bit of fisho but it soon becomes incredibly samey. I used to like it when they did the international match on the Sunday though as there was more variety in how they fished and what they caught in that. Not to mention some seriously good all round anglers across the field.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Why don’t they use every other peg on a lake that size. The anglers would have a bit more water and potentially catch more, which would be good for TV.

rudd

Site Supporter
All those quality anglers should be lots of 300lb weights of starving Carp :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
358.195 kg =789.68lbs total in mens (plus one) final.
32.9lb mean average

My view is a change of venue is needed, watching anglers sit it out for carp is now getting boaring as is the fisho format itself - Alton Water in Suffolk would be a good choice.
Hoards of silver's where waggler, feeder and pols all work.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Harry Bignell had a gravel bar at 5ft depth where he was Fishing and the Fish were there , he never had to try anything else, well Fished , Bloke to his right had deeper water

smiffy

Site Supporter
The lad had a nice match, as he said himself.
It did , once again, highlight my beef with Carp dominated fisheries.
Other competitors had to sit there, like garden gnomes, going through the motions simply because Carp were their only option. No other species are relevant. Shame.
Well done to the winner though. Those days don’t come round too often and it’s nice to make them pay when they do👍

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Think sometimes you have to say the venue is the venue and get on with it. The doughnut previously used had it's fans and critics alike. Like silverfisher mentioned i can watch so much then tire of it, but did also used to like to see the Sunday international, where a team event adds a different tactical element in certain pegs. Sitting watching for example, Alan Scotthorne for example i think it was, fish a waggler across was personally great to watch.

In terms of the venue, the winner will have done their homework, know what's what and have the ability to understand and then exploit their findings, from what i saw, the winner did that. On any venue the eventual winner will more than not, have done that.

The draw is also the draw, at least the final is on one venue, i can never ever fully, get my head around a match, such as some of the qualifiers, being across different lakes on a venue, but there i suppose is the draw element coming into play. I do like watching the national champs, as over a series, things can even out a bit and the cream largely rise to the top over the year.

Watching on TV, may be different to being there, but as has been mentioned in previous years, live match fishing of this nature has been made as interesting as it can be and if you watch it for any learning purposes as i like to watch any fishing for that purpose, then better viewing is a self made programme, whereby you get the thought process and coverage explained by the angler throughout the match. In fisho anglers wouldn't want the mic and camera in their face throughout.

Fisho is an event for really the people who dream of winning it to try and do so after the effort gone into getting there and on the day, but with cameras there and an audience, more than its designed to be a good TV event, as i say, as much as it can ever be a good TV event.

The biggest single bit of feedback that comes in about popular TV fishing programmes and where lots of people watch them is the fun factor and that some non-anglers alike can watch them with interest, not my cup of tea personally either, but i get it.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I could see somewhere like tamar lakes being a good venue. Yes it’s a bit out of the way but it seems stuffed with fish all around it of multiple species that can fall to loads of methods and aesthetically it’s a venue befitting of a final rather than a generic commercial. Or maybe somewhere like docklow given it’s more central and again seems to offer more varied fishing for more varied species again and appears nice aesthetically whilst still being a commercial. Not sure if the lakes there are big enough mind you.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I could see somewhere like tamar lakes being a good venue. Yes it’s a bit out of the way but it seems stuffed with fish all around it of multiple species that can fall to loads of methods and aesthetically it’s a venue befitting of a final rather than a generic commercial. Or maybe somewhere like docklow given it’s more central and again seems to offer more varied fishing for more varied species again and appears nice aesthetically whilst still being a commercial. Not sure if the lakes there are big enough mind you.
I keep hearing murmurings about a Carp backlash but it never materialises. There are quite a few different, big, series/finals on various types of waters nowadays but it’ll be hard to knock fisho of its pedestal for coverage away from social media.
Riverfest is quite big now. Possibly with a larger pool of anglers than fisho. You’ll never see it on sky though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Riverfest is quite big now. Possibly with a larger pool of anglers than fisho. You’ll never see it on sky though.
Riverfest final would be a great watch now it’s earlier in the autumn and on the Trent as it should do lots of good weights of various species most seasons. Would be far more interesting to watch given you’d have people on deep pegs, shallow pegs, fast pegs, slow pegs fishing stick, waggler pole, whip, feeder etc for roach, dace, perch, chub, bream or barbel. I think it would draw in more new anglers as well as non anglers can relate to rivers from seeing them in everyday life and may well already enjoy using them for other forms of recreation so might be genuinely interested to see what fish they hold and think I’ll have a go at that. Be far more interesting than fisho with people sat on a doughnut or rectangle catching carp after carp mostly on a couple methods. That to me is getting a bit akin to watching the US bass tournaments where it’s obviously just bass after bass although I suppose they at least fish more interesting places.

Total

Site Supporter
It’s what they term ….. the luck of the draw. Got to be in it to win it as they say. Go on Mark get yourself in. I’d love to hear what Keith Arthur has to say when you start battling carp on that tank aerial of yours. 🤣🤣😘
^^ Understand the above 'Luck of the draw" etc mate and have entered a couple of qualifiers in the distant past at Monk Lakes 'darn sarf.....' Both times a comedy of errors and people getting away with obvious cheating and stewards doing bugger all about it.:(.....Those experiences were enough for me to not bother again.....Anyways, moving on....

'Tank aerial' indeed!:LOL:......At least my pole sections ain't supporting my broad beans like yours in your garden!:p:ROFLMAO:😘

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ Understand the above 'Luck of the draw" etc mate and have entered a couple of qualifiers in the distant past at Monk Lakes 'darn sarf.....' Both times a comedy of errors and people getting away with obvious cheating and stewards doing bugger all about it.:(.....Those experiences were enough for me to not bother again.....Anyways, moving on....

'Tank aerial' indeed!:LOL:......At least my pole sections ain't supporting my broad beans like yours in your garden!:p:ROFLMAO:😘
That’s why I go Barbel fishing from April until late August. My pole is needed in the garden. 🤣🤣

Cheating ? Why what cheating goes off Mark ?

Total

Site Supporter
That’s why I go Barbel fishing from April until late August. My pole is needed in the garden. 🤣🤣

Cheating ? Why what cheating goes off Mark ?
You're barbel fishing in April?:oops::p;)

Regarding the cheating: Both episodes have been well documented on line before so no point in bitching about them now although the second episode was particularly galling as it was on my lake and involved the venue winner for that match. :(......Anyways, as always Karma played her part as that particular person was turned over in the final! :love::ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You're barbel fishing in April?:oops::p;)

Regarding the cheating: Both episodes have been well documented on line before so no point in bitching about them now although the second episode was particularly galling as it was on my lake and involved the venue winner for that match. :(......Anyways, as always Karma played her part as that particular person was turned over in the final! :love::ROFLMAO:
In my head I’m always on the bank. 🤣🤣. Something I don’t agree with is Barbel in Stillwaters Mark. They never evolved into the fish they are to find themselves stuck in a Stillwater. Not even a well oxygenated one. 😡

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It would be interesting to know what tactics have previously been employed on yesterday's winning peg, in Fish O finals. Because it was the locating of that bar of shallower water that made Harry's match. Hat's off to him for finding and targeting it. And also for sticking with it during a quiet period. A lot of anglers might have started to go through their armoury trying to get back on the fish, and missed the fact that it was still the best tactic.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Apparently he was fishing at 16m and then went onto a method feeder, and close in, then back onto 14m where he found the bar and the fish.

I'm not sure if Nathan Watson had that peg a few years ago

Carp attack

Watched the fisho final on record, after the first hour an half must admit to fast forward through alot of it!
Have to say a massive well done to Harry, my mate ( ryan lidgard ) said to put some £££ on him! I did not 😬,
Think it could be so so much better,
Why cant all the anglers be miked up before so they can be talked to??? No need for stupid reporters up and down the bank!
Can all the lake be ultised for just the finalists so margins could play a part???
Stop the half hour weighs so the end the final weigh could be nail biting if close???
Have proper anglers presenting the show,,, sorry but Keith Arthur has had his day!
Callum was decent, not sure on Andy Kinder,,
But sure we could have ppl like Des Shipp, Will Raison, Matt Godfrey, etc etc, we have loads of quality anglers who could explain things so much better, get them involved,,
It's supposed to be the " flagship " event but feels as tho its waining,,,
Now for other venues for the final, I would love to see it at a place like messingham sands,, islands lake especially! Islands, lillies, sand bars, loads of different methods an tactics could win, Not just carp but full of quality silvers also which CAN win a match by itself! How good would that be to see, big skimmers Ide tench f1s etc also playing a part in a final!?? Other lakes could also be used for what ever else on the day,,,