Fish ID please

Dusty

Can anyone identify these fish? Apologies for picture quality my mate took them whilst walking the dog.
For context, these were in a small pond fed by a stream.

My first thought was Golden Orfe but I’m unaware how often they thrive naturally in unstocked waters. 2FD9F3CF-C19F-4CE5-AEF6-AE96DA93523E.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Look like orfe to me. Basically just coloured ide so theoretically they’d survive anywhere an ide normally would.

Dusty

My thoughts too mate.
Just strange as the pond is in the middle of the woods with seemingly no owners ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Indeed is odd, normally fish would be dumped if they got too big for a pond so given they look small I suspect someones pond became very good for spawning so they decided to offload a load of offspring!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Indeed is odd, normally fish would be dumped if they got too big for a pond so given they look small I suspect someones pond became very good for spawning so they decided to offload a load of offspring!

Or got fed up/bored with it and dumped the fish before filling it in.
And Yes...Orfe. We have some in our club waters that are not stock fish.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
not necessarily - in my parent's pond, which is approx 13m x 6m and up to 4 ft deep, the biggest fish have only grown to four or five ounces before the heron or kingfisher got them - but it has maintained a breeding population for over 30 years of goldfish, orfe and rudd. I can date the rudd to 4 that i brought home in a bucket back in the early 80s.

JayBee

Site Supporter
I've got 3 golden orfe in my garden pond, they all have names....Sod, Bu66er, and I can't tell you what the third one's called!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Can anyone identify these fish? Apologies for picture quality my mate took them whilst walking the dog.
For context, these were in a small pond fed by a stream.

My first thought was Golden Orfe but I’m unaware how often they thrive naturally in unstocked waters. 2FD9F3CF-C19F-4CE5-AEF6-AE96DA93523E.jpeg
Look like Zerkaloes that's what I think they're called ? could be koi carp or hybrids from koi

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Probably from someone's garden pond. Either dumped or possibly escaped in a flood.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Give it a go once we get the green light and see what they are, and what else is in there.

Dusty

Give it a go once we get the green light and see what they are, and what else is in there.

I plan to mate ?

It’s in the middle of woodland with no signs around or anything to suggest anyone owns it. Can’t see the harm in going armed with a rod once we are allowed. ?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I plan to mate ?

It’s in the middle of woodland with no signs around or anything to suggest anyone owns it. Can’t see the harm in going armed with a rod once we are allowed. ?
I used to fish some of the side streams and canals off the Test at Romsey on that principle. I knew which ones were controlled by clubs and treated the rest as fair game. I had some decent trout and roach out of muddy ditches.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Was the pond part of a house / estate so could just be an old ornamental just left to go wild check old town plans.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My thoughts too mate.
Just strange as the pond is in the middle of the woods with seemingly no owners ?
Walkers of Trowell used to own a pond at Bulwell, it cotained some massive Orfe, but no one ever knew how they got there.

The Erewash canal used to be full of goldfish every oct/nov time from people winning them on Ilkeston Wakes (fair) and dumping them in the water.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
FD0CkBT.jpg
Caught out of a little local river near me... most Orfe are odd stocking's from fishtanks or from a pond that was too small to house a fast growing fish...
This one went about 3lbs