Fish Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

While food shopping yesterday I noticed fish food for koi carp, small pellets to be feed twice a day and tidied up once the fish has eaten. Now am I being stupid or would this stuff work on a lake?? Going fishing tomorrow and I'm not really close to a tackle shop and having never used pellets before but heard so much about that wanted to try them out, would this stuff work and if not can you recommend what pellets I need.
I use a pole and normally go fishing for tench, carp,bream, crucian and roach only small stuff upto 5lb not really into heavy duty carp fishing!

Matty Love

I don't see why they're not worth a try mate. Just make sure that they're not floaters!

mattp

They were 1 for a small ish tub probably 4 handfuls. How much are pellets normally and like I said I don't really know anything about them so what type would I get/how do you use them?

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by mattp

They were 1 for a small ish tub probably 4 handfuls. How much are pellets normally and like I said I don't really know anything about them so what type would I get/how do you use them?

IMO you dont need to use KIO fish food for pellets.

there are SO SO many different pellets on the market

ive used trout pellets in different sizes and done very well on them.

http://www.carpfishingpellets.co.uk/

Last edited:

mattp

On my lunch I popped into Poundland and bought a 500g of Elite betaine feed 4mm pellet and a bag of 400g betaine expander 6mm pellets, 1 each! Just need to figure out what to do with them now! Any tips on how to use them would be brilliant.
Ps whats a pellet pump?
Thanks for your help.

dancey

Pellet pump is a vacuum pump for sucking the air out of the expanders and causing water to replace the air and then causing the expanders to expand, the same effect can be achieved by just soaking them!

If you are pole fishing I would feed 5 or so of the 4mm pellet little and semi-often (feed to the bites/fish you are getting) and then fish the expanders on the hook.

Cheers

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
Betaine pellets are good at sorting out the carp in a mixed fish water, but will also interest most fish, Fishmeal pellets are an excellent all rounder and then you have the fancier types like swim-stim and others. Just try a few at the venues you like to fish, find out what works for you in regard of number of bites/fish landed and then enjoy :)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by dancey

Pellet pump is a vacuum pump for sucking the air out of the expanders and causing water to replace the air and then causing the expanders to expand, the same effect can be achieved by just soaking them!

Cheers

If you just soak most expanders they will not sink. The pellet pump removes the air from the pellet allowing it to be replaced by water when the vacuum is released.

Koi pellets are designed to float so that you can scoop out what isn't eaten in 5 minutes or so. So as a feed pellet for coarse fishing fairly useless unless surface fishing. and then very expensive.

All tackle shops will sell pellets as do a lot of fisheries. Decoy Lakes near Peterborough sells pellets at 1.80 per pint and a half. I soak these overnight in a 3 pint baitbox and in the morning give them a shake and they fill the box. How much you need will be dictated by the fishery and how the fish are feeding. On a prolific water I can get through 6 pints easily.

In the tackle shop look for Sonu Baits Fin Perfect range.

As well as using expanders on the hook, which can take some getting used to, try a hard feed pellet using a bait band or lasso knot on a hair rig.

Two ways I hook expanders. 1 - with a 6mm pellet use a 14 hook, 2 - again with a 6mm pellet use an 18 or 20 and use a baiting needle to pull the hook through the pellet then let it sit back down on the hook.

mattp

So I've tested the pellets in a glass of water, the feeder pellets sank to the bottom and just sort of lay there when I took them out after about 20mins they were soft around the edge but still hard in the middle. The expander pellets floated in the water, they went soft enough to hook but floated. Can I still use them to fish on the pole near the bottom or will they not work??

Thanks for all your replys and help.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
There is a chance that with the weight of a 14 hook they may sink. Without a pump the alternative is to squeeze them gently underwater. If they still float then I would not attempt to use them. But if you did you would need to lay at least 6 inches of line on the deck and have a shot 1-2 inches from the hook and use them as pop-ups.

Yopu really need to invest in a pellet pump if you are going to pursue using expanders. Check out the MD online store, I believe they do a recommended one.

And what did you expect the feed pellets to do except "sort of lay there"? I soak mine overnight in just enough water to cover them and by morning they are soft right through. I personally think the fish prefer them this way.

pipikins

If the expanders are floating, just keep them in water and give them a little squeeze before you hook them This gets rid of the air and then they'll sink. Seemples

Status
Not open for further replies.