Fish food for pond

Sportsman

Site Supporter
We have a small garden pond containing quite a few small fantails and gold fish. Until recently we have been feeding them on small floating sticks under the brand name Tetra, at a cost of 22euro/10Litre tub.
Being as tight as I am, I went on the internet and found 3 X 15 litre bags of pond fish food that looked very similar, for the same price. The fish have now turned their collective noses up at it and stopped eating altogether. Is this common? I assumed that if they were hungry enough they would just scoff it The questions are:
Will they just starve themselves to death, or will they eat it when they get hungry enough?
Do I have to go back to 22Eu / tub?
Does anyone want to buy 2 1/2 bags of fish food cheap?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad uses Tetra Wheatgerm Sticks at the moment and has the same problem with the three goldfish in our pond. I kind of feel sorry for the fish as they did start eating them reluctantly after a while but not as much as whatever it was we used to feed them.

Actually, one the red and white ones has lost a lot of it's red colour recently and I wouldn't be surprised if diet was a factor.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Sometimes its because the weather has gone colder at night bringing the water temperature down a bit but when they get used to it they will start to feed again, some of the very cheap pellets are soya plus fillers so the quality is lacking.
Expanders are floating pond pellets try them on the fish in the smaller sizes 3 or 4 mm. I used to give mine floating casters but they mess the pond up although the fish did very well on them.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Fish can go months without eating. They live off body fat which is stored from summer pigging out. As said the cold has an effect I feed mine afternoon and evening now when’s it’s warmed up a tad.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
The best way to ween fish over from one make to another is to mix them together and up the ratio of the new one over time. That way you'd also be able to tell if they were refusing just the new feed, or not feeding at all.

In the short term have you tried feeding anything (say bread, maggot) just to see if they are hungry.

Round these parts the temperatures have not changed enough yet to put my fish off feeding (they are still ravenous as ever), but it would take a significant change to put them off the feed, given the volume of water should resist rapid temperature change anyway.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Mine are the same

Not interested in the morning but when suns been on a few hrs they are up in normal place looks for food

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I am amazed at how fussy my cold water aquarium fish can be.
When I feed them fish flakes, the flakes all look the same to me.
But the fish will pick out certain colours / flavours, and consume them eagerly.
Then they will pick up the remainder from the bottom of the tank where they have fallen.
So what's in those "delicious" flakes?

I have actually tried eating them myself, but can't tell the difference. :sick:

And no, my fish don't much care for wheatgerm pellets, but it's all they get after the first frosts.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Mine get feed Nishikoi flake and some floating pellet, they are also partial to some of my micro pellets. If they get fed over the winter they get wheatgerm. They don't seem to like it at first, but eat it when they get hungry enough. I put a couple of sticks in the other day when they where feeding. They were taking in by several fish and then promptly spat out. As I said when they don't get any choice, they will eat it.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I just feed mine Skrettings pellets and any other leftover bait including meat, corn & maggots. They scoff anything, any time of day and any time of year.

If they haven't seen maggots for a while it can take them a time to realise they are edible.