Fish Feeding Ring for a Pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Hi guys

A nice salesman at an aquatics centre tried to sell me a feeding ring to help my fish to get used to feeding in one area of the pond and hence try to encourage them to become more tame. 4 for the plastic ring though.. I THINK NOT.

After leaving that offer thinking hell no.. I went home and got a bucket that I had kept in the pond before I took the lilly pads out.

I just cut off the top ring of the bucket and now I have myself a feeding ring. Cost - NOTHING - just the top of an old plant pot (that curves over so that it traps air to float).

Sorted [:p]

Just thought some of you pond owners may save a couple of pounds.. unless you aren't cheap like me [;)]

And.. the filter is running (no UV just yet), the pump is running and the bridge is back on the pond. 3 weeks and I can buy some fish! OH YES [:D]

me

what the **** do you want a feeding ring for ? If you keep dropping the food in the same place every time the fish will get used to were the feed is with out a ring, and also by feeding sinking feed you will never get them tame as the will know that they are on the bottom of your pond. If you want your fish tame and not sppoked when people are around or even feed out of your hand you need to use floating feed to get the fish up to were the people are and the noise is and they will learn that they are safe up in the water as well as on the deck.

All i feed my fish are floaters throught he summer and every night from about 6pm they are all sat on the top of the water (inc the tench) in the same area waiting for the floating pellets to go in

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Well the main problem I am concerned of is the flow going in from the filter knocking the floating sticks around (which I will feed them.. not sure why you think I'll feed them sinking food??) and the ring should help to prevent the pellets getting washed all over the place!

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ed, i have never used a feeding ring and i have both a "water drop" filter and a spray bar, my fish seem to enjoy chasing the food.

Don't be fooled into buying/getting stuff you don't need mate

I know one bloke who's trained his extra large Koi to feed from a baby bottle full of pellets, he only did it so when he has friends with kids round to visit they can feed the fish and be occupied instead of bored, the rest of the time he chucks the pellets on the surface

As for making the fish tame, i don't need a net for my fish i just put my hands in and lift them out, all the gizmo's and gadgets won't make any difference if the fish don't want to follow suit!!

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
I'm really hoping that the fish will be tame. Is there anything I should be doing to encourage them to be more tame? I understand I should be feeding them regularly on floating pellets in the same place at the same times each day? Is there certain fish I should buy and certain places to avoid when buying fish?

The reason I ask is that I imagine fish bought from large tanks (one local aquatics centre keep their small koi in a tank) are not as tame as fish that have been kept in large outdoor tanks, in open water feeding from the surface?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
i always buy mine from the same place now, its over at cannock and all their fish are kept in open air ponds, fish kept in fish tanks don't seem to live as long in fact i've only ever had a fish brought from a tank live more than a year and that was my catfish!!

As for feeding them in the same place all the time...like i said i just chuck my pellets on the surface and i don't have set feeding times i just feed them when i do and they are all tame enough to be picked up

Oh sorry not all of them are tame enough to be picked up, there's one grass carp that i always have trouble catching.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
It takes a few feeds to make them all feed confidently without spooking too much, but after a few weeks you ll notice they will start to mooch about rather than just come up for a quick "snack".

Mostg of the Koi in my pond will graze quite happily as long as there is food on the surface, with one exception....the black and white Ghostie. He has always been a bit skittish, and after years of him being there, he s still the shy one.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Just time and repetition... keep doing the same thing, dont move sharply and try puttin your fingers in the water instead of pellets fro time to time. It all helps to get the fish used to you.

Many people advocate putting a chagoi in to calm the fish down and make them more likely to hand feed. Not sure how much truth there is in it, but my large chagoi is always among the first to graze each season, rather than just snatch a pellet and turn tail.

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Ed2 mate, all a feeding ring is for really, is to keep the feed together, so that any excess can easily be removed from the pool, otherwise the nutrients from the uneaten food can give water quality problems, and encourage algea growth.
[:D][:D][:D]

wozelbeak

Originally posted by Trogg

i always buy mine from the same place now, its over at cannock and all their fish are kept in open air ponds, fish kept in fish tanks don't seem to live as long in fact i've only ever had a fish brought from a tank live more than a year and that was my catfish!!

As for feeding them in the same place all the time...like i said i just chuck my pellets on the surface and i don't have set feeding times i just feed them when i do and they are all tame enough to be picked up

Oh sorry not all of them are tame enough to be picked up, there's one grass carp that i always have trouble catching.
is that hatherton Aquatics Trogg? it over the A5 from the boot sale field.

me

id say it was hatherton aquatics/ nursery by the discribtion as all the fish there are out side.

wozelbeak

i had three Koi from there about 8/9 years ago. two of them died within a couple of weeks, they had cost 100.
i found out a week or so later they were shut down by some animal welfare group due to the condition some of the fish were in!!
i knew one of the owners at the time, and was quite surprised as they looked in good nick when i got mine. however i found that the same thing that killed my two had killed a fair few others.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
yep Hatherton, always get my fish from there and i've never had any problems wth them, got some from the "other" garden center by M6 when i first built the pond (got to be careful because they sued a website that had allowed them to be slagged off) and within 3 weeks ALL the fish i had from there were dead!!

wozelbeak

Originally posted by Trogg

yep Hatherton, always get my fish from there and i've never had any problems wth them, got some from the "other" garden center by M6 when i first built the pond (got to be careful because they sued a website that had allowed them to be slagged off) and within 3 weeks ALL the fish i had from there were dead!!
those dicks at the "other" garden centre refused me a fish a couple of years ago as i had not took a water sample in. i had only had the pool 16 years at that time, so i told them to stick the fish up their ar$e.

oldtart

01/02/09 - 07/07/10
In Memoriam
I use a ring in my pond Im training my Koi to jump through it,I started close to the water and they are now up to 6 inches above, just concentrate on simple things dont get them doing difficult moves,you should see the excitement when I go to feed them they think its playtime,and think the flying pigs are part of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.