Fish dealers admit carp smuggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thank heaven they caught these ******** [:(!][:(!][:(!]

This report from the BBC News Website today.........

At Folkestone Magistrates Court 2 Essex fish dealers have admitted to smuggling more than 1.8 tons of live fish - some of which were later found to have SVC - into Britain
Mark Dallas and Lee Coles were arrested as they tried to take the consignment of 262 large carp through the Channel Tunnel last April.

It was the largest-ever seizure of illegally imported live fish, said a spokeswoman for DEFRA.
It is estimated that the fish could have fetched up to 85,000 on the market because British anglers are keen to catch large carp.

In Court, Dallas of Premier Fish Supplies, Battlesbridge, and Coles, of Chelmsford, admitted smuggling the fish.

Both were committed to Maidstone Crown Court for sentencing.

After the consignment was intercepted, tests identified the killer virus, Spring Viraemia of Carp (SVC) in samples from the fish, which were bought in Belgium.

According to scientists, it is the first time this particular strain of the SVC virus has been identified in the UK.

The court was told that if the fish had been introduced into British waters it could have been disastrous consequences for wild and commercial fish species.

Peter.
Datafile2.jpg
Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

carpbob3

pleased to see these two have been caught (no pun intended) but what happen to all the fish ?

I hope that the court comes down on them heavy

MALC

Trouble is though how many others get through.

I'd guess for every 1 consignment thats caught about 10 get through if not more.

It's a worrying situation because as in this case the actions of a few could jeopardise the whole ecology and wipe waters out in one fail swoop.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would imagine that DEFRA'S policy is to destroy them Bob.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
never mind what they did to the fish, lets hope they make the b*****ds suffer for bringing them over here in the first place, the fish have had to be destroyed cos of these idiots, & all cos they got greedy, we've got enough problems with cash mad **** holes like cudmore refusing to close whilst full of SVC without arseholes like those two bringing in anymore.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

anyexcuse

Unfortunately the problem of fish smuggling isnt just confined to imports from the continent. Even unscrupulous fishery owners have been known in my area to put out 'bounties' on fish from other waters to import to their own.
My club have set in place certain rules to keep this in check eg no one is allowed to use carp sacks for whatever reason.
However I know we cant patrol our waters all the time and loses do occur. I even heard of an instance where a man went into a local pub with a carp(dead) under his arm(I kid you not)trying to flog it. Hopefully no one bought it thus a market for such fish wasnt created. This was admittedly an amateur attempt, but whether amateur or not, no club fishery in particular can put up with sustained loses like that.
I guess vigilance on the bankside is the name of the game.

Dave@Brynmill&DistictAC

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave

I don't know whether you've read or heard anything about our east european friends fishing our rivers & pools etc??

They've been getting caught on the Thames with a whole sh*t load of fish that they've caught & killed to sell onto fishmongers.

One of the lads i know told me he actually video,d a group of them catching & killing fish on his clubs waters, they all got into a brand new transit van (i thought they were all "poor"??) and took the lot to a local fishmongers.

The club are going to prosecute the lot of them including the fishmonger.

They claim its because the don't understand our laws, in their countries they are allowed to catch & kill as many fish as they want so why can't they do it here, simple really this ain't their country & we've got different laws.

If they want to come & live here they should obey our laws if they don't..send them back where they came from.

Oh & prosecute the hell out of any fishmongers who buy the fish from them as well, once word gets round that the actually buying of theses fish will result in prosecution i hope it will stop.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Lid

Trogg, who do these fishmongers sell the fish on to? I don't see rows of roach, bream or perch in my local fish mongers? Do they perhaps use them as ingredients?

Lid

anyexcuse

Funnily enough Swansea Market has a fish stall where I've seen both Carp and Bream in the past. This was way before any of our Eastern European carp ticklers became a problem.As you probably know, carp were originally bred and kept for the table in this country. In a lot of european countries this is still the case. Personnally, the idea of eating a fish that's been fed on a diet of Coshida cat food doesnt appeal to me.But some of those boilies smell delicious mmmmmmm...Now where was that fish monger??

Dave@Brynmill&DistictAC

crusty

Bolton fishmarket has roach and bream for sale every tuesday, thursday and saturday.

i've also seen carp and pike.

the bream are between 1-3lb
and the roach 12oz - 1-1/2lb

bream are mostly mud feeders, so i can't imagine there being much taste, except mud. but apparently the buyers are asian.

last summer one of the few large carp in my nearest water, was caught, killed and de-scaled on the bank, by "foreigners"
we can't have our sport, especialy on quiet club or day ticket waters, destroyed for food.
i'm not racist, but some people need educating.FAST!

crusty

jonesr

Following up on this thread. My local club has been having this problem for the last year or so.Two of our lakes are in public parks.These close officially at dusk,and the gates are closed and locked! Our balliffs check these lakes occasionally after dark or when local residents notify them.The council are not interested.The police only attend when not doing something else.The answer is always the same "WE NO UNDERSTAND" The fact that signs say closed and the gates are locked mean nothing!
The police evict them out and a couple of nights later they are there again! The way we stopped them was to give them swimming lessons!They didn't like it!! But, nowdays you dont know if they are carrying anything. so it has to be done mob-handed.
BUT when it has been done a couple of times the word does get around.

Ron J

Age isn't everything!
EXPERIENCE IS!

anyexcuse

Tried the carp a la scopex - I think I'll stick to cod!. But seriously, fortunately we havent had a problem with asylum seekers down my way yet - just a bunch of local boneheads and a heron.Oh and the black luftwaffe,but that's another thread.Its certainly something though that could affect us in the future. I'll make sure our bailiffs are aware of the problem.As for them calling in the police, I agree with the earlier comment that you wont get a very quick response from them unless they've nothing else to do.Does anyone know what's Romanian for 'put that fish down boyyo and prepare to take a dip'?

Dave@Brynmill&DistictAC

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Its traditional fayre for our eastern europeans cousins to dine on carp on christmas day. Its part of there culture to eat fresh water fish. I DO NOT condone there attitude in stealing our fish stocks but it goes some way to explaining it.
Regarding the police, if they refuse to act when notified of a theft and thats what it is. Then write a letter of complaint to the chief constable, or perhaps even better to your local paper.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.