Fish behaving badly

nejohn

Site Supporter
Over the last few weeks I have experienced some fish doing things that you would not expect them to do, I saw a large (2lbish) eel swimming on the surface (no it wasn't a grass snake), I have caught a Tench on single caster fished at 12" depth when catching Rudd on the surface, I have caught a 3lb pike on bread flake, a 2oz roach on 2 grains of corn but this evening really surprised me... I caught a 2lb Bream that thought it was a 10lb salmon, it jumped clear of the water 3 times, not just rolling on the surface but the whole body at least 12" clear of the surface and it ran like a carp, I don't know what it had been eating but it was really chunky and solid, maybe it might have been a hybrid but it certainly looked exactly like all of the other bream I caught but just felt more muscular, it was like super bream

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Does seem to be a modern trend with Bream. Had quite a few over the last few years that have jumped after being hooked but lately it is multiple jumps 3 or 4 being quite common. Even had a couple of small carp do the same. Strangest though was a 3lb Barbel caugh shallow on caster whilst tapping for F1's. The swim was about 3ft deep and I took the Barbel in the top 6"

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Theyre all things that happen from time to time but that is weird to have them all happen within a few weeks!

Bream in particular are funny sods, usually a bit of wet cloth with a pulse but some do go bananas really uncharacteristically. I‘ve even had to backwind on a couple only around 3lb in fairly shallow water and even today i had a few skimmers in a good 5ft that i was sure were going to be roach or perch from the way they pulled. Never had a big one jump but have had small skimmers do it on shallow commercials. Also had couple 4 pounders virtually off the top once as well but in that case it was really shallow.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
End of July I have had a carp tail walk ( while hooked ) through 3 pegs.
On sat I had a barbel while tapping at 12" on pellet.
Today I had 3 carp jump 2-3 ft out the water when hooked ( on method )

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Ironically, I had the same happen to me 2 weeks ago after a match. Hooked a bream of about 3lb in about 10Ft of water, elastic went slack, Line went slack and the fish bolted 3 times out of the water within about 5 seconds. It then immediately gassed and come in.. Well, Like a Bream. Made for a good laugh for me and a buddy fishing the peg beside me though. Lol.

DFL

Site Supporter
I had a pike swim across the river in front of my swim a few weeks ago, head out of the water with jaws wide open, a weird sight.