Fish And Pain

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Agreed. Not knocking the OP. In my opinion the mail is a nasty nasty paper. There is always some underhand political motivation to everything it writes, which is generally drivel.
As a matter of interest Fishy, which newspaper would it have to be in for you to believe it?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If fish felt pain they would not pull against a hook in their mouths. In one of my stories I mentioned that I was playing a tench that took an other anglers bait, both hooks were fairly in its mouth; hardly an action from a creature in pain.

tyne angler

i work on the roads my back is freaking killing me why not take pitty on humans i work 50plus hours a week a fish has discomfort for seconds lets get things in perspective

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I don't have much of a problem believing that fish might react to injuries. However, to suggest that they feel pain is another matter entirely.
I've caught the same fish twice or more in a single session on far too many occasions. I've also caught a fair few fish with horrendous damage. The kind of wounds that would see a mammal curled up in agony just waiting to die. The worst was a grayling that had a horrendous gash and was actually trailing its damaged guts. Not far off as bad was a tench with torn puncture wounds in its abdomen through which you could see its internal organs. If fish feel pain at all, it's nothing close to the way mammals feel pain.

MarkW

Years ago I was in correspondence with Professor James Rose of Oregon and the critical question is whether fish are conscious of pain. His finding was that fish could not experience pain which is an emotion experienced in the more complex parts of the brain that fish do not have. Even we humans react unconsciously to many stimuli eg pupil dilation. I lost the emails that I had due to a computer crash but the article I subsequently wrote is in some in a back issue of Coarse Fisherman.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Years ago I was in correspondence with Professor James Rose of Oregon and the critical question is whether fish are conscious of pain. His finding was that fish could not experience pain which is an emotion experienced in the more complex parts of the brain that fish do not have. Even we humans react unconsciously to many stimuli eg pupil dilation. I lost the emails that I had due to a computer crash but the article I subsequently wrote is in some in a back issue of Coarse Fisherman.
How often did you write for CF mate? It was my favourite mag.