Fish And Pain

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
So scientists have concluded that fish really do feel pain, I think most of us always suspected this anyway. It appears that during observations they have reacted to injury in similar ways that mammals do. Whatever your thoughts are on this subject I think we all need to be aware that this latest revelation may give ammunition to the anti brigade.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is this some new report/results?

There was a load of discussion about it a few years back and the scientist who carried out the experiments had to tell the world herself that her findings had been wrongly reported and the results showed that fish didn't experience pain but reacted to chemicals etc.

Total

Site Supporter
Is this some new report/results?

There was a load of discussion about it a few years back and the scientist who carried out the experiments had to tell the world herself that her findings had been wrongly reported and the results showed that fish didn't experience pain but reacted to chemicals etc.

I think someones lighting fireworks mate. :D:giggle:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think someones lighting fireworks mate. :D:giggle:

Possibly but it's amazing how many people read something and think it's new "news" because they don't notice dates, i've just had to point out on my local towns facebook "crime page" that the report they are all discussing and sharing is from 2017... not one of them had noticed the date in bright orange at the top of the page!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Fish do not have a developed nervous system to detect pain, this has been proved over and over again, fish can detect pressure changes through the lateral line and detect light through vision and they respond to flavour not in the same way animals can in smelling but more in terms of detecting certain chemical components of a scent.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Possibly but it's amazing how many people read something and think it's new "news" because they don't notice dates, i've just had to point out on my local towns facebook "crime page" that the report they are all discussing and sharing is from 2017... not one of them had noticed the date in bright orange at the top of the page!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Like i said..old report, the same one who ended up denying that it proves fish feel pain...

I guess the anti angling mail are just looking to cause trouble again.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Don't knock the OP for his original post as it does have some significance.
Yes it was in the Mail and also in the Sun,no doubt the other media publications will all follow as the week goes on.
Both the Mail and the Sun who are the top two in circulation rates sell over one million copies per day

That's a hell of a lot of readers who are going to read "fish feel pain" and not be interested one jot in the detail of the report behind it.
Get one of the "influencers" or political parties latch onto it and who knows where it could go.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I only have the observation of some 57 years fishing to go on, not a scientific background. I concluded some time ago that fish cannot feel pain in any way that we could identify with.

Two observations lead me to this conclusion. The first being that I catch fish with horrendous predator damage yet those fish are still mobile and eating. A mammal with equivalent injuries would not, in my opinion be anywhere near as active and eating normally.

The second is that if you allow a hooked fish to swim with no pressure from the line then it acts quite normally without showing any signs of distress. I am sure most of us have caught fish from which we have had to remove an embedded hook. I have even caught a fish and retrieved my own hook lost earlier in the session. Again, that fish is acting quite normally. Something mammals may not do in similar circumstances.

I doubt we will ever really know. But one final thought re Conditioned Reflex/Positive Punishment. If being hooked after eating a certain food source is as unpleasant and painful as some may wish to prove then the theory of Conditioned Reflex, specifically Positive Punishment, means that fish should learn to avoid certain foods because of them producing an unpleasant stimulus. Yet we catch the same fish repeatedly on the same baits.

Dusty

genuine question,

How many people on here would pack up fishing if it was proven it caused pain and suffering?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Good question but I doubt you will get much of a reply as anglers are very non-committal at the best of times.
I would only stop fishing if it was legally banned and/or I could be convinced that fish do suffer pain.

Gwillim

If you gave me concrete undoubtable evidence that they feel pain then yes I would stop.

Experience over the years tells me not though as has already been said by Neil

Fishy Medic

Don't knock the OP for his original post as it does have some significance.
Yes it was in the Mail and also in the Sun,no doubt the other media publications will all follow as the week goes on.
Both the Mail and the Sun who are the top two in circulation rates sell over one million copies per day

That's a hell of a lot of readers who are going to read "fish feel pain" and not be interested one jot in the detail of the report behind it.
Get one of the "influencers" or political parties latch onto it and who knows where it could go.

Agreed. Not knocking the OP. In my opinion the mail is a nasty nasty paper. There is always some underhand political motivation to everything it writes, which is generally drivel.