Fish and flooded rivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It might sound a bit of a silly question but following a quick trip across the River Ouse I wasn't suprised to see it over the top the bank and into the fields.
Now we all know that fish tend to seek shelter from the current when a river is in flood but do they venture further afield ([8D]) ?

Just thinking out loud, when a field is underwater then the worms etc would or should rise from the ground, the flooded field is generally still compared to the main river course and so you would have an ideal situation from a fishes point of view - slack water and ample food.

What do you reckon or is just the Glenmorangie playing with my head alcoholic2.gif

Dave Datafile2.gif

ray

quote:the flooded field is generally still compared to the main river
the still water will also be a lot colder/frozen at this time of year so i reckon that the fish will not stray to far from the main deeper river.

also, as it is colder the fish will not want to move about as much in search for food so again they will not stray to far from their normal haunts.

ray.

prepare your meat at home and bin the tin.
"clean banks campaign"

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Dunno about UK fish or winter time but Spring floods and they quickly move into the flooded area for the abundant food.

Newt Vail

Simon R

Site Supporter
When we had that rain in November 2000, our club lake overflowed into the adjacent field (for the first time I can remember in 25 years of fishing there)

When the water subsided a little the field became a separate lake and we found we had loads of small roach all over it. We got a few out but I reckon the seagulls got the rest.

Simon

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Once when my local river flooded over into the nearby fields a friend of mine went down after the flood and in the field there was like a pond of water left and three Pike had got themselves stuck in it! Also i cant remember what it was but i watched a program on Tv and it was on about tracking Dace in times of flood and it showed that adult Dace actually swim around in the surrounding fields!

Tight lines [:D]

MrC

I have fished a small pond in Holland by the River Maas ,it was good for small roach most years, however one year after the annual flood it was stuffed with Bream!! only the flood water could of took them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.