Fish-4-Fun Day Lakeview Fishery Melton Mowbray

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
What is it ?

JUST A LIKELY LADS DAY OUT OF WAGGLER WAVING, ROD BENDING & MAGGOT CHUCKING !

Not a match, just fun day out with banter being the order of the day !

Where:

Serpent Lake - Lakeview Fishery
Landyke Lane, Holwell, Melton Mowbray
Leicestershire, LE14 4SX

When: Saturday 20th May 2017.

Day Ticket Cost: 0.00 - Zilch, Nothing, Not a Penny !

There will be a collection bucket for the Stroke Association.

Limited numbers so PM me for details.

Kevin

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thanks Brian,

It started out as a day's fishing for a group of 'lads' well I say lads but 30 - 60's age range, a few who haven't fished for a long time and having lost a family member from a stroke, I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate their life and possibly go a small way to helping others.

I may get a couple of lads from my rugby club to lift anyone fishing upside down to shake a few coppers loose yet ! :)

Scribe

Site Supporter
Evening GS,

Apologies for the late reply, in my defence I was on holiday in Crete and only returned on Sunday. Unfortunately there was nil response to the post, which may have been down to not posting the event earlier, given that MD'ers probably had pre-booked matches to attend.

In the end there were 4 of us including two stepsons, both of which thankfully caught carp & bream between them. I have converted one to fishing again and he has had one of my old poles and a seat box & some bits and pieces. We have had a few sessions together and I have been teaching him how to fish the pole. (Mr Magoo in the land of the blind, springs to mind :LOL:) Second step-son is joining me in October to fish a small private lake in Derbyshire (I'll convert him yet !)

Was a special day for my mate, as he inherited his Dad's match fishing tackle, when he passed away, so it brought back good memories of him fishing with his Dad so a bit bittersweet, but enjoyable and again we have fished together since.

For a while I was the only one fish-less, which was not looking good, given that i fished the most out of all of the 'contestants'' Despite trying everything I knew (not an awful lot, it has to be said) I was dreading a blank. Fortunately for me the margins came to my rescue. having primed them with hemp & snails, I tried sweetcorn and had the pole float shoot beneath the surface, lifting into the fish with my Middy M3 margin pole with 18-20 elastic and it tore off towards the island. What followed was a on-going battle as it became obvious despite the very strong margin pole and elastic, that there was no bullying this one in. In my head I was saying stay calm and wear it down, using more pressure to turn it away from snags. One step forward and one back as I would bring it closer using puller only for the carp to get other ideas and charge off. Patience paid off and the fish was swimming in circles and I thought it was only a matter of time before it would give up and I could get it's head up and draw it into the net.

My mate was standing by with the landing net and as soon as it was within range he lunged at it with the net, carp shot underneath and the line connected with the net and <PING> to say I was gutted was an understatement. I could easily have packed up there and then and gone home :cry: Needless to say after a breather i fished on and had several smaller carp, which was better than nothing, although I can't help but rue the 'one that got away.'